New to canning soft drinks - pasteurization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So we've got the recipes down, I can make a keg and it will last. We usually make about 5x 1/6th kegs a week and sell. The only can that we have done this year has been just canned carbonated water with great success of course.

Whenever we decided to do a soft drink like a lemonade using extracts from amoreti and/or Tropicana. Or a mountain dew version using a bag and box syrup mixture, everything is great for the kegs with no issues.

But when we put them into cans the shelf life is short so I'm going to start pasteurizing everything but the scale of our current pasteurization machine does not match up with our co-packer so I'm trying to figure out - for example today our co-packer did about 8,800 cans. I can only pasteurize 180 cans every 25 or 30 minutes. With the holidays and shipping times and other issues it will be Monday before I'm able to start pasteurizing this next batch. However the batch that we did at the beginning of October took 30 to 45 days before the can started to expand or explode. I'm curious to see if the pastoralization process takes a week is that too long from the time the cans are filled?

Before we filled the cans The water was 75° c All of the sugar and color and flavoring was all mixed into a large mixing vessel with paddles inside, heated jacketed consistent. Then after everything was mixed together then it was added to a 30 barrel container then water added then got cold and carbonated. Was hoping that mixing the way that we did we would not have these issues so fast but I'm looking for some advice because even though we got 9,800 cans at the beginning of October we have only sold about 4,000 of them. So as of now those are all going to be wasted :-( and I do not want this to happen again! Since our first run at the beginning of October for the doobie, mountain dew inspired. We have also run a lemonade haze, that was done the same week,. Then 2 weeks later we ran a dam water, like an ocean water but we made all this using terpenes and Amoretti extracts plus cane sugar.

I'm just going to assume that in a couple of weeks all of the others are going to go bad as well too so pasteurization we will have to do! I'm familiar with internal times on the cans But unfamiliar as far as how many PU are required for safety with soft drinks. I'm doing my research on the forum and have learned a lot from post number 19 on a thread that I read 😆
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/back-sweetening-and-carbonation.701994/#post-10303500
Always looking for tips and/or advice and excited to see what the future holds with a successful line of drinks that do not fail after 30 days.

If a can was to have something growing inside of it and you were to put it into a water bath for pasteurization I have learned that it will explode. Some of our cans as soon as they get up to 110° in the water they start to pop after a failed 45-day batch. But I'm just so curious on the timeline... from putting into the can day zero until the can pops the top or bottom on day 45.
If I was to pasteurize and everything went successful after canning ((still trying to learn how long I can wait after canning until pasteurizing, of course immediately is perfect but if it took a day or two, how bad is that)) and then a month later I did the pasteurization process on the can that was already pasteurized, would anything happen? I would assume that it would just get warm again and get cool again and no problems, but if something was inside fermenting then you could see like on a 45-day test after if it would have a problem? Just trying to look for like quality test to check without water analysis with this question.

Back