Stir Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dry yeast manufacturers recommend sprinkling the granules over the top of the wort. And let them be. No stirring or mixing needed or even recommended.

Although rehydration is not typically recommended anymore, the instructions for it have been the same: sprinkle the dry yeast granules over the top of 95F water, and let sit for 10-15 minutes to slowly rehydrate. Then stir...

And I'll note here that there are NO stupid newbie questions. They have all been asked at some point or another. Sometimes by the very people on HBT who have many many many beers under their belts, myself included.
Being one of those that has asked many a stupid question, I cannot agree more!!!! The only stupid questions are the ones not asked. Rock On!!!!!!!!

The dry yeast manufacturers recommend sprinkling the granules over the top of the wort. And let them be. No stirring or mixing needed or even recommended.

Although rehydration is not typically recommended anymore, the instructions for it have been the same: sprinkle the dry yeast granules over the top of 95F water, and let sit for 10-15 minutes to slowly rehydrate. Then stir...
Fermentis actually recommends to dump it in when the fermenter is half way full and then fill the rest on top to make sure the yeast is mixed in. I just dump it in half way and swirl instead, seems to get started much quicker than the old sprinkle on top method. That is actually the way they recommend to rehydrate on water still.

We're in the Beginners Brewing Forum; perhaps diverging into a side discussion.

the old sprinkle on top method
🤣.

Fermentis actually recommends to dump it in when the fermenter is half way full and then fill the rest on top to make sure the yeast is mixed in.
For commercial brewers with (obviously) large fermenters and production schedules, this advice would be worth considering.

For home brewers, with modern (;)) 2.5 gal batch sizes? 🤷‍♀️

There's an excellent summary paragraph in the US-05 technology data sheet /1/
[...] know-how and continuous yeast production process improvement generates [...] dry yeasts [ ... for ...] a very wide range of uses, incl. cold or no rehydration conditions, without affecting their viability, kinetic and/or analytical profile. Brewers can choose usage conditions that fit the best their needs:

[...] you have the choice: you can rehydrate, or you can pitch directly; depending on your equipment, habits and feelings.
... they left out "make a starter" :confused: (which, for people who home brew and live on hot dry continents, can be a prudent cost saving practice).

/1/ PDF at the web site, dated Feb 21 in the page header.

We're in the Beginners Brewing Forum; perhaps diverging into a side discussion.

🤣.

For commercial brewers with (obviously) large fermenters and production schedules, this advice would be worth considering.

For home brewers, with modern (;)) 2.5 gal batch sizes? 🤷‍♀️

There's an excellent summary paragraph in the US-05 technology data sheet /1/

... they left out "make a starter" :confused: (which, for people who home brew and live on hot dry continents, can be a prudent cost saving practice).

/1/ PDF at the web site, dated Feb 21 in the page header.
Yes I would assume beginners would like to see fermentation start quicker, ease the mind. Hence the mixing yeast in recommendation.

caution: "beer science" ahead 🤣

Yes I would assume beginners would like to see fermentation start quicker, ease the mind. Hence the mixing yeast in recommendation.
On the other hand, transfering the wort and then sprinkling the yeast on top simplifies the process and "gets the job done".

If there are verified measurements on start-up times for various pitching techniques, that would certainly be interesting.

HomeBrewTalk: making dry yeast complicated (for beginners) since 2018™

caution: "beer science" ahead 🤣

On the other hand, transfering the wort and then sprinkling the yeast on top simplifies the process and "gets the job done".

If there are verified measurements on start-up times for various pitching techniques, that would certainly be interesting.

HomeBrewTalk: making dry yeast complicated (for beginners) since 2018™
You can see in the graphs here. And their recommendation.
https://fermentis.com/en/knowledge-center/expert-insights/beer/brewing-easy-2-use/
When I have mixed the yeast in I usually get airlock activity around 12 hours, when I sprinkle on top it's closer to 24. This is just a casual observation I haven't actually measured it before, so take with a grain of salt.

A quick glance of the linked article suggests it's aimed at commercial brewers. The charts appeared to compare two re-hydration techniques to a "pitch it dry" technique.

It appears to be worth a more careful read (and maybe a deep read / study) for those interested learning more on active dry yeast.

This is just a casual observation I haven't actually measured it before, so take with a grain of salt.
Anecdotal stories can lead to curiosity which can lead to "citizen science" which can lead to ...

There is also value in "keep it simple" techniques, especially when starting out.

:mug:

A quick glance of the linked article suggests it's aimed at commercial brewers. The charts appeared to compare two re-hydration techniques to a "pitch it dry" technique.

It appears to be worth a more careful read (and maybe a deep read / study) for those interested learning more on active dry yeast.

Anecdotal stories can lead to curiosity which can lead to "citizen science" which can lead to ...

There is also value in "keep it simple" techniques, especially when starting out.

:mug:
Yes that's my interpretation too.

My concern with sprinkling on top is there is normally a good amount of foam after transfer and I worry with yeast sitting on the foam it may be an hour till it gets into the wort.

If their process is too complicated I would just dump a pack in while it's transferring and then give the fermenter a swirl once it's done. The goal is to get the yeast mixed in to the wort as soon as you can.

When I have mixed the yeast in I usually get airlock activity around 12 hours, when I sprinkle on top it's closer to 24.
I sprinkle on top and I always see activity the first time I check, which is usually between 12 and 18 hours depending on how late in the day I pitch.

I have never sat and watched it to catch the first bubble. Maybe I should set up a web cam.;)

My concern with sprinkling on top is there is normally a good amount of foam after transfer and I worry with yeast sitting on the foam it may be an hour till it gets into the wort.
I sprinkled on top of a thick layer of foam once. Then I worried about it all night. The next morning I cleaned up the mess from the blow-off. Dry yeast is unbelievably forgiving in my experience. About the only way to screw it up is to add it to wort that's still way too hot.

All you "sprinklers on foam" are shaking your fermenters, right? That's what you're supposed to do.

I've done the pitch at half full and the pitch last method, but still shake the carboy/bucket in the end to aerate the wert and mix in the yeast. So after pitching, shake that MFer!

Wow, all the different ways folks are pitching yeast. IMHO @BrewnWKopperKat made the upmost important comment. (JUST BE SURE TO PITCH THE YEAST). However one might actually forget, so in the event that happens, PITCH THE YEAST, even if it's the morning after when it finally dawns on you. I have pitched in a number of ways and always ended up with beer.

I'm a stirrer, liquid or dry, I aerate with oxygen and stir. Always have active fermentation by morning.

I sprinkled on top of a thick layer of foam once. Then I worried about it all night. The next morning I cleaned up the mess from the blow-off. Dry yeast is unbelievably forgiving in my experience. About the only way to screw it up is to add it to wort that's still way too hot.
Fermentis is very forgiveable, llalemand a bit less. I am convinced the only way to use mangrove jack's is to build a starter, that stuff will take forever to get moving when pitched directly.

I am surprised people forget to pitch yeast, it's the final step and hard to forget for me.

😃OK, maybe I've been doing pitching the yeast wrong, yet getting good results. 🤔? 🤷‍♀️?🤣?

How ever one chooses to pitch the yeast, just be sure to pitch the yeast. :mug:
We are looking for great here not good 😃

It probably doesn't matter much, although I tend to error on the manufacturers direction if available.

I've done all the methods listed above; sprinkle on top, rack wort onto the dry yeast, rehydrate with distilled water. I get beer, whether good or bad depends more on my earlier processes (and fermentation temperature) than how the yeasties got to their final destination. However, if I'm brewing a 'big' (over 1.070) beer, or doing a WF lager, I go the vitality starter route; i.e., take off some wort after boil has started, cool it down in the freezer, and pitch the dry yeast into that in a sanitized tupperware container. Once the wort is in the fermenter, I dump the yeast in and let it go. Does it help? Jury is still out. Does it give me confidence that I have given my yeast the best head start it could get? Yes, especially if I'm doing a WF lager with one of the 'traditional' lager yeasts at ale temperatures. But that may be too much info for the BB forum. I've been drinking.

However, if I'm brewing a 'big' (over 1.070) beer, or doing a WF lager, I go the vitality starter route; i.e., take off some wort after boil has started, cool it down in the freezer, and pitch the dry yeast into that in a sanitized tupperware container. Once the wort is in the fermenter, I dump the yeast in and let it go. Does it help? Jury is still out. Does it give me confidence that I have given my yeast the best head start it could get? Yes,
A couple of the yeast providers (Lallemand, Fermentis, I'm not tracking the numerous others providers / brands) have the concept of a stressful wort - and higher OG is a factor. Their suggestion is to pitch more yeast.

With a stressful wort, your experience suggests a starter is a good alternative to pitching a 2nd package.

Others have noted that, for the worts they make, pitching a single package into an OG 90+ wort works for them. In addition to OG, wort composition, strain of yeast, and fermentation temperature are probably considerations as well.

Last edited:
A couple of the yeast providers (Lallemand, Fermentis, I'm not tracking the numerous others providers / brands) have the concept of a stressful wort - and higher OG is a factor. Their suggestion is to pitch more yeast.
If I were selling yeast that is the approach I would take too.

If I were selling yeast that is the approach I would take too.

And yet ....
  • Both Fermentis and Lallemand, In 2020 and 2021, posted videos that include discussion on making a starter with active dry yeast. (I haven't followed their videos since then).

• Lallemand has a "best practice" document at their web site on on making a starter with Diamond Lager.

And yet ....
  • Both Fermentis and Lallemand, In 2020 and 2021, posted videos that include discussion on making a starter with active dry yeast. (I haven't followed their videos since then).

• Lallemand has a "best practice" document at their web site on on making a starter with Diamond Lager.
If I were selling yeast I could make more money selling an extra pack than having the brewer make a starter.

Latest posts

Back