Stir starter after decanting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALExanderH

Reaction score
Hi, I wasn't able to google my way through this one.. Is it positive or negative for the yeast to put it on the stir plate after decanting the liquid leaving a bit behind to get the yeast back in suspension. I did it yesterday and saw bubbles after 4-6 hours in a 1.085og ale.

I usually pull the cold crashed starter out the morning of my brew day, decant, then put on the stir plate at the lowest setting to stir them up and bring them to room temp for pitching.

Always had vigorous fermentations this way.

I usually don't have enough liquid left for the stirbar to do anything but turn the bit in the middle round and round. I just swirl until the yeast is not stuck to the bottom, then pitch it.

If you have trouble spots at the bottom of your starter(thick cake won't move), just grab a magnet and use the stir bar to loosen it through the glass. No issue storing it after decanting prior to pitching.

I do this when I harvest some English yeast. That way I get each jar as even as possible since its so flocculent.

If you have trouble spots at the bottom of your starter(thick cake won't move), just grab a magnet and use the stir bar to loosen it through the glass. No issue storing it after decanting prior to pitching.

That's what I do!

Back