Starter overflowing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stosh

Reaction score
Why would a starter that is not on a stir-plate that is manually shaken now and then overflow when a starter that is on a stir-plate does not?

I mixed up two 1L starters last night one using Omega West Coast Ale I 004 and the other is Omega Hornindal Kveik 091.

The 091 is on my stir-plate and the 004 is not. I just give it a shake when I can.

The krausen in the 041 has overflowed out and down the side of the flask (sanitized alum foil on this flask) and the 091 (on the stir-plate with foam stopper) has a good krausen but nowhere near over flowing.

Just curious as to why?

I'm not familiar with either of those yeasts but some strains are more aggressive than others so it could be that.

I have started to use the foam drops in my starters, i have had a few that did that for whatever reason, now its much more controlled and i dont worry about making a mess anymore...

Stir plates agitate the wort to keep the yeast in suspension, ferment the starter wort quickly, and build more cells. A byproduct of that is they knock out dissolved CO2 faster and disturb the surface tension of the wort. The krausen on a stir plate starter never gets a chance to fully develop.

I hardly ever see krausen on my starters anymore. Though I sometimes use anti-foam, even the starters that I omit it from barely foam — maybe 1/4 inch above the wort level maximum.

I have been doing step starters on a stirplate from very small samples on the first step (frozen yeast bank). I get almost nothing showing on the first step. A little foam around the edge on the second step and quite often blow off on the third step.

As said some yeasts ferment a lot more actively than others.

Stir plates agitate the wort to keep the yeast in suspension, ferment the starter wort quickly, and build more cells. A byproduct of that is they knock out dissolved CO2 faster and disturb the surface tension of the wort. The krausen on a stir plate starter never gets a chance to fully develop.

I hardly ever see krausen on my starters anymore. Though I sometimes use anti-foam, even the starters that I omit it from barely foam — maybe 1/4 inch above the wort level maximum.

I never had krausen of any real substance form on my stir-plate starters either until I used this Omega yeast. Ultimately both starters took a ride on the plate and both boiled over. I'm brewing with one today and the other tomorrow. Maybe I'll start with a blow off tube...

Back