Adding DME to starter in progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

t^3

Reaction score
I mostly use dry yeast or slurry to avoid the whole starter mess. I say mess because I always seem to have an overflow from the flask on the stir plate. I only have a 2l flask and brew 5 gallon batches of ~1.070 wort. I don't think my stir plate can handle a 5l flask so I don't really want to go there. To combat the overflow I start many days in advance and do 2 step starters with cold crash and decant. Looking for a way to simplify/speed up the process. When the krausen starts to fall can I just add more DME into the flask? The stir bar ought to mix it up well enough. Anyone do this or have other ideas?

JohnSand

Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't done it in a starter. I have added sugars to fermenting beers, feeding Belgian ales. So I believe you can. I make pretty simple starters when necessary, generally using a growler and just shaking it occasionally.

RufusBrewer

Reaction score
If I was convinced I needed lots of yeast. Make a starter, grow the yeast, decant new yeast and dump that new yeast into a fresh starter wort. The second starter would be larger than the first.

At some point the second starter looks like a batch of beer. So why not brew a beer in place of the starter?

TBA

Reaction score
Make a starter, grow the yeast, decant new yeast and dump that new yeast into a fresh starter wort. The second starter would be larger than the first.

This is what I currently do. I guess I should say the reason for needing so much yeast is to save some for next batch. I do try to harvest after kegging or top cropping but sometimes it doesn’t work out. I like to have the backup yeast.

More I think about it, I guess you can only have so much yeast in a given volume. So no way around the 2 step starter. Adding more DME would just start to make more alcohol and that isn’t what i’m after here.

IslandLizard

Progressive Brewing
Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
To combat the overflow I start many days in advance and do 2 step starters with cold crash and decant.
Are you using a yeast calculator to estimate volume, growth and cell numbers?
BrewUnited's Yeast Calculator

Make a starter, grow the yeast, decant new yeast and dump that new yeast into a fresh starter wort. The second starter would be larger than the first.
If you don't use a larger volume of starter wort for the second step, growth rate will be severely stunted. See that yeast calculator I linked to, above.

An alternative to using larger starter vessels, you could save out 80-90% of the slurry from the first step, to use in your upcoming brew, then make a new starter with the leftover 10-20%. That will give you more growth due to a smaller inoculation rate. It's like making a double batch.
If you want to save some time, letting the first round starter crash while propagating the 2nd round, use 10-20% of your 1st starter volume (uncrashed but well homogenized).
If the 2nd round starter contains 10% spent starter wort (= starter beer) from the first round, due to omit crashing, make your new starter a little stronger, say 1.045 to come out at 1.037-1.040 for round #2.

If in a pinch yes you could add some extra DME to your spent starter. I would dissolve it and give it a quick boil to pasteurize, then chill, before adding. A stainless kitchen pot with a well fitting lid works wonders for that. Chills fast too in a tub or sink with cold water.

I find using 2 liter starter vessels working well for me, using propagation schedules as in the example above. I can't easily place a 3 or 5 liter flask in my fridge, I would have to remove a shelf to get the required headspace which is not very practical.

OP
OP
T

t^3

Reaction score
Thanks @IslandLizard! I see the problem with not increasing the volume. I don't often start out with a new liquid yeast, mostly dry or slurry. I usually wake a slurry up on brew day with a vitality starter for 4-6 hours. For the occasions when I do get a new liquid yeast I like to overbuild and save some.