Starter gusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BedtimeBrewer

Reaction score
cooked up a 1pt 1/4 cup LME starter last night with omega Scottish ale. Let it sit over night with loose foil over a 1 qt mason jar. So apparently it’s not a good idea to shake a starter unless you are looking to take a beer shower? My impression was you wanted to boost O2 level in the starter as it goes.

It looks like I lost about ~1/3 of the starter volume hopefully it doesn’t impede my ferment tonight. Btw, this supports my belief that for the home brew level liquid yeast is an inferior product. Why bother with this hassle?

cooked up a 1pt 1/4 cup LME starter last night with omega Scottish ale. Let it sit over night with loose foil over a 1 qt mason jar. So apparently it’s not a good idea to shake a starter unless you are looking to take a beer shower? My impression was you wanted to boost O2 level in the starter as it goes.
With continuous stirring this would not have happened as CO2 is removed almost as it forms.

It looks like I lost about ~1/3 of the starter volume hopefully it doesn’t impede my ferment tonight. Btw, this supports my belief that for the home brew level liquid yeast is an inferior product. Why bother with this hassle?

To make better beer? Would you also hypothetically claim that "cars are inferior products because I never learned to drive"? ;)

Well if your criteria for yeast includes price, stability, potency and simplicity then dry yeast is superior(mine does). The only thing liquid yeast apparently has going for it is variety.

I would recommend to yeast labs to broaden their selection of dry yeast if they want to keep selling to home brewers

There are pros and cons to each manufacturing process. For me, I like the variety so I use liquid yeast. I'd much rather "bother with the hassle" than not get the result I want.

If you make a narrow range of styles and a there are dry strains that fit those styles, great. Not everyone is into this hobby for the reason, you have to remember that. It's also one of my favorite aspects of the hobby, and what keeps it interesting.

But don't blame your handling of the product, on the product.

I hear you. Total amateur move. I guess what caught me off guard is that CO2 would build like that in what is essentially an open container.

There are more and more styles of dry yeast coming on the market, so you should be able to brew most styles. Liquid yeasts give more options and subtle differences with different yeast of the same style. There might be only one choice with dry.

A healthy pitch of liquid yeast, prepared properly will almost always give a quicker start to your fermentation.

BTW, you don't have to make a starter, but then you should pitch multiple packs. That gets very costly.

I freeze my liquid yeast in prepared 20 ml vials. I can use them plenty of times before buying new yeast so it costs almost nothing in the long run.

To each his own, I have been using a lot of dry yeast lately.

I put a starter on a stir plate and went to bed a few hours later. Sometime during the night the stir bar went rogue. When I got up the next morning and heard the fan spinning free I shut off the stir plate, re-captured the magnet, and started the stir plate.

Within a minute the starter foamed up, popped the open cell foam stopper right the heck out, and proceeded to build a puddle on my desk while I scrambled for a roll of paper towels.

So, yeah, "CO2 happens", and if you're not knocking it out with a stir plate it can bite you in the butt later ;)

Cheers!

Back