Starsan in dishwasher?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmaxdmax

Reaction score
Was going to run my bottles thru the dishwasher, both to surface clean new ones and do a final rinse of oxyclean that I used to remove labels on half of them. Let cool, leave on rack, squirt each one with a shot of starsan from a turkey baster and bottle.

Might it do any good or harm to add a few ml of Starsan?

Otherwise, does my process seem reasonable?

I sanitize in my dishwasher before bottling so that is fine. I would be concerned that the Star San foam may fill up your kitchen. Try it and post pictures. HAHA.

Don't put star-san in your dishwasher! Just don't do it. If you wonder why, you can do a search for the photos, but remember that star-san foams. And dishwashers (and washing machines) don't handle foam. That's why you can't use regular dishsoap in the dishwasher- foam.

Excellent point! I once tried to use Dawn in the dishwasher and it flooded the kitchen with suds. I had to brush them out onto the balcony and over the side. 4th floor of a NYC brownstone. The tragedy is that we don't have pictures!

Isn't there a no-foam equivalent? Saniclean, made by the same folks as starsan. I wonder if that would work.

Your method appears to be just fine. Just be sure that there's at least 30 seconds of wet contact with the Star San.

For the love of all that is good and pure, do NOT put Star San in your dishwasher (if you do, be sure to post a video)! If you want to put a sanitizer in your dishwasher, Saniclean is the one to use. It's not officially a sanitizer, and you'll never get them to say it outright, but Five Star's stance is it's the low-foam equivalent to Star San.

I would think that using sanitizer in the dishwasher would be a waste. I doubt that much if any would get up inside the bottles.

I use the hot cycle (my dishwasher does not have a sanitize cycle) then I use a Vinator to sanitize.
image_515.jpg

I've used star San in my dishwasher just fine. But you have to NOT use more then 1/4 ounce or yes your dishwasher will overflow with star San suds. 1/8ounce is fine as I run all my bottles in a star San cycle once I've scrubbed them out inside. Bottles come out better than a store bought case!

I am going to put my flip tops through the dishwasher, of course without the tops.
Now my question is how to sanitize the inside of the bottles. Is a star San solution used with a turkey baster the lease expensive methoD? And is it still as effective as buying the vinator bottle sanitizer machine?

Excellent point! I once tried to use Dawn in the dishwasher and it flooded the kitchen with suds. I had to brush them out onto the balcony and over the side. 4th floor of a NYC brownstone. The tragedy is that we don't have pictures!

Wish I could have seen that since I grew up in Brooklyn I can just imagine it. LOL :mug: :D :cross:

I am going to put my flip tops through the dishwasher, of course without the tops.
Now my question is how to sanitize the inside of the bottles. Is a star San solution used with a turkey baster the lease expensive methoD? And is it still as effective as buying the vinator bottle sanitizer machine?

As long as the StarSan solution touches all the inside surfaces of your bottle, how you get it there doesn't matter. Vinators are quick and efficient but not really necessary. Some people fill a bucket with solution and dip their bottles.

thanks yeah thats what I ended up doing.. I soaked bottles in oxyiclean for 10hrs (while I was at work) to de-label the bottles. Worked great.. Then I ran them through the dishwasher twice (no soap) just to really clean them.. Then just before bottling I dipped each bottle in a 5 gallon bucket of star san to sanitize them...

A dishwasher will not do a very good job at cleaning the inside of the bottle; the openings are just too small.

You have to read the original post. He isn't putting starsan in the dishwasher soap dispenser. He's putting it (properly diluted?) into the bottle with a turkey baster after rinsing them out in the dishwasher.

To the OP: if you are expecting the dishwasher to rinse oxy clean from the inside of the bottle I doubt significant water volume will be forced through the little bottle neck opening, particularly if, like me, you put he bottle necks facing down between the grids, effectively blocking operation of the wash arm. I'd recommend rinsing in a bucket of clean water (or getting a bottle jet) to get the oxy clean out. The sanitizing operation I expect when I run them through the dishwasher is the heated drying/sanitize cycle. You first have to clean any gunk out of the bottles. The easiest way is to rinse them out under the tap immediately after you empty them (you are pouring the beer into a glass to enjoy the aroma and color, aren't you!!!) Then put them away in a dust free environment untill ready to botle. On bottling day, run them through the dishwasher heated dry/sanitize cycle, no soap and no jet dry. Once they are cool and dry you can squirt some starsan in and shake it up to coat the inside and kill anything that floats in from the kitchen during bottling. You can use a turkey baster and shake it around, just be sure to pour the excess out. I use a vintator which does the same thing in one operation. A convenience but not necessary.

Back