SS Yorkshire Square - Idea on Cost?; and - MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all -

I am very happy to get going, with lots of stuff coming in over the next several days.

My plan is to open ferment with rousing - preferably, a pump-based rousing, as in Yorkshire; then transfer under as little O2 as possible, to a keg, for dry hopping, conditioning, and fining; to either a direct transfer to cask or bottle (will require mastery of yeast and sugar counts, obviously, with equipment I don't yet have), or to a mixing vessel for priming, possible yeast (and possibly different strain, for bottle conditioning); then bottle and/or cask.

So, I have two possible solutions for that open primary.

One, just use my Spike MLT. It isn't based on T/Cs, but it's an ideal 1:1 really, in aspect ratio. Has the built in thermo and ball valve. Means cleaning and sanitizing it while the wort is boiling in the BK.

Two, something like this. I beg the member's pardon, because I can't find where I got this. But I am wondering if anyone has an idea what something like this should cost on a 304, sanitary-welded basis; just an estimate of a custom job. Presume 12-15 gallon batches, so 20 gallons total in vessel volume:

openfermentor1.jpg

(Finally, to cannibalize my other thread on Yorkshire Squares at home, pumps. Stuck on what type would suit recircing wort/beer as here, in the manner of Black Sheep et al. I don't think a centrifugal like a Chugger would suit. One member interestingly suggested a peristaltic. This weekend, away up North on a family matter, I visited a brewer I know, who just started a Belgian-style brewery. He actually uses submersible pumps for these purposes.

Submersible? Sanitizing? Forgot to ask...)

As for the pump i would not recommend peristaltic, mainly because you will need to use silicone tubing which is extremely gas permable.

I would go for a diaphragm pump like those use in the quick carb, you can get them off ebay direct from china quite cheaply. You can fit barbs or John guest straight to the pump and then use whatever tubing you like (eg. MDPE).

You can control the speed via the appropriate voltage control

Interesting on the quick carb pump, Queequeg, thanks. I'd never even know the type and it was interesting to read up on it, which I'm still doing. Appreciate the input.

My friend has a friend who welds s/s in MIG. I know there's various opinions on MIG and ss. Can you gas-purge with MIG, to get sanitary ferrules installed, such as in the above pic? Or is TIG pretty much the only way?

$600 all in? Wow, wouldn't have thought that high given its simplicity but I know s/s is very expensive. Thanks, Dog House. At least the MLT has two ports - one low and one high, for the sparge, perfect, really, for splashing over the krausen. This isn't a true square anyway - no idea how much scale kills the "Yorkshire effect," and there's obviously no deck, no manhole, no organ pipes. But should be interesting nevertheless.

Thanks for the reality check.

Stainless right now is pretty ridiculous. All metals are going up in price. I haven’t bought any recently, that is what I looked up for a single sheet. That was for 18g too. Could probably get away with 20 or 22, but I want something I can toss around. I’ve watched the Timothy Taylor vids on the process before. I can’t see why a kettle wouldn’t work, or even a rectangular cooler for that matter.

Stainless right now is pretty ridiculous. All metals are going up in price. I haven’t bought any recently, that is what I looked up for a single sheet. That was for 18g too. Could probably get away with 20 or 22, but I want something I can toss around. I’ve watched the Timothy Taylor vids on the process before. I can’t see why a kettle wouldn’t work, or even a rectangular cooler for that matter.

Thanks, Doghouse. There's really no reason I shouldn't just use my MLT, or BK, as you mentioned. I think the small point of NPT ports and valves over tc and butterflies was holding me up, but that's really overthinking it, I know.

Guys, in the event that I have this built, what gauge would you recommend. Would 22 be too thin for an open fermentor (that as to handle the recirc pump attachment and operation several times per day).

Edit: quick google returns 11 gauge on large commercial fermentors, but then these are closed, and, well, large. Think I'll go with Spike's walls, roughly corresponding to 18 gauge. If that seems weird to anyone, please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:
Look into restaurant warming pans-- I looked into doing this a few years ago, and these are a nice "off the shelf" type of solution. The benefit is you can also find the warming pan stands so you have a nice way to hold the pan without impeding having a potential bottom fitting welded to it.

This oversize pan I found doing a fast google search holds ~6.5 gallons-- perfect size! Get a pan, and then just get your desired fittings welded on!

https://www.instawares.com/oversize-pan-500-1d.alt-pn2123.0.7.htm

The other thing I considered was to actually use a single tub stainless sink!

:mug:

18 ga. should be fine, I'm sure your welder would prefer it to the 22ga. If you turn about a 3/4" flange on the top edges, it will stiffen the sides a lot.

OK great, thanks ancient. Still toying with just using one of my Spike vessels, but I'm, probably irrationally, not much of a fan using vessels in double-duty. Cold side stays there...and ideally has sanitary fittings. Work in progress!

Look into restaurant warming pans-- I looked into doing this a few years ago, and these are a nice "off the shelf" type of solution. The benefit is you can also find the warming pan stands so you have a nice way to hold the pan without impeding having a potential bottom fitting welded to it.

This oversize pan I found doing a fast google search holds ~6.5 gallons-- perfect size! Get a pan, and then just get your desired fittings welded on!

https://www.instawares.com/oversize-pan-500-1d.alt-pn2123.0.7.htm

The other thing I considered was to actually use a single tub stainless sink!

:mug:

Thanks cyber, will take another gander. I did look before, but came up empty when it came to my brewlength - up to 15 gallons. Having had a restaurant, we have about a billion hotel pans of all sizes....just none of the size needed, lol.

Latest posts

Back