SRM changes with efficiency? (Beer Tools Pro)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kal

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I've got a Pliny the Elder clone recipe here from the BYO "150 classic clone recipes". It's for 5 gallons and they say all their recipes assume 65% efficiency. The grain bill is:

12.2 lbs 2-row
0.28 lbs Crystal 45L
0.86 lbs Carapils
1 lb corn sugar

8.13 SRM and 1.074 OG according to the recipe.

My setup does 90% efficiency however, and using the efficiency scaling feature in Beer Tools Pro reduces the amount of grain (but keeps the ratio's the same) as the efficiency goes up. Problem is that the SRM goes down as efficiency goes up! (It jumps from 8 to 6).

The colour will go lighter as efficiency goes up? Really? Why?

I don't want to increase the ratio's of the malts as I don't want too much crystal, but what else can I do?

Kal

If the program is reducing the amount of each of the grains, then yes. If you want to keep the same SRM, then only adjust the base grain. I keep all of the specialty grains at the original quantities.

Thanks David. Yes, the software's adjusting all grains. So if I understand correctly, you get more colour out of a grains earlier. If the mashing is overly efficient, the last runnings don't have much colour left (just a bit of sugar). I think that makes sense!

Kal

Back