Spunding for Dummies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember, the PSI for room temperature is much higher than your serving temperature. You have to have a higher than normal PSI, and then when it cools CO2 leaves the wort. Certainly more experienced folks than I can point to a good rule of thumb.

Good to see you're on the path. And once you get the spunding/keg carbonation figured out, that canister of CO2 lasts a LONG time.

Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!

Remember, the PSI for room temperature is much higher than your serving temperature. You have to have a higher than normal PSI, and then when it cools CO2 leaves the wort.

As the carbonated beer cools, some of the headspace CO2 dissolves into the beer, not the other way around.

Certainly more experienced folks than I can point to a good rule of thumb.

If you mean a rule of thumb for spunding pressure needed at a given temp to produce a desired level of CO2, you can do a lot better than a rule of thumb. As mentioned in the other thread, there are tables and calculators fort this. I'll link one here, so you won't have to recommend rules of thumb or guesswork anymore.
Carbonatin-Chart.jpg

Spunders, how are you taking numerous hydrometer samples without exposing the beer to oxygen?
If there is any pressure at all in the fermentation vessel - in my case my vessels have ball lock ports so I simply hook up a liquid ball lock connector with a short tube attached to the barb and express a little beer into a hydrometer flask or a glass. If there isn’t pressure, I give the vessel a shot of CO2 to give it enough pressure to force a sample out the liquid out as above.

Latest posts

Back