Splitting wort, how long can it sit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ski12568

Reaction score
I am planning on splitting an all grain batch of wort into 3 parts. I want the malt flavor constant and will add hops at different intervals for each brew. I only have 1, maybe 2 pots. How long can wort sit before you start the boil before the flavor begins to change? Thank you

If you're talking just hours, it will be fine, as in you're going to wrap up all 3 boils in a single brew day. If you need to extend the brew session overnight, you will most likely have some souring that could be noticeable in the finished brew.

I stupidly did this once.

It was dumb luck that I didn't get soured wort.

I brewed a dopplebock and did a huge 32qt decoction of nearly ALL the grain, and boiled it. Probably what saved my butt. Ran out of time and a thunder/lightning storm rolled in just as I finished Mash out. I rolled the rig indoors and gave up for the day/night. Left lid on overnight. Came out first thing in am and saw a film across the top. Skimmed it off. Boiled and months later it's fantastic. No sour. I think the decoction and mash out saved my butt.

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back