SPINDELMATE (Yet another iSPINDEEL, TILT hydrometer and RAPT PILL datalogger and temperature controller).

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbaggen

Reaction score
SPINDELMATE is a fermentation logger capturing the TILT hydrometer or RAPT PILL data of gravity and temperature by Bluetooth or WiFI signal from iSPINDEL. Furthermore, it is a cloud service allowing to easily uploading your data.

It is based on ESP32 and supports Shelly, Sonoff (DIY mode) an Tasmota Plugs for controlling a fridge or heater and hence secondly acts as a temperature controller. These plugs is controlled over local network by HTTP commands.

All data and controlling is done at SPINDELMATE CLOUD and hence you only need to enter wifi details once in the logger. overview_x

Parts needed​

An ESP32, a usb cord and a TickTax box to hold it all, and ensure some moisture protection. Currently, it have been tested with ESP32 DevKit1, ESP32S NodeMCU, and Wemos ESP32 D1 Mini (se more below). If you wish to use the TempControl function you will need Shelly Plugs and/or Sonoff Plus in DIY mode (se more below). Tasmota Plugs also supported.

As Picture says more than words:

overview_x2.png

Last edited:
Hello There. It would be great to talk to you about this. We are in the process of mass producing a new board with ESP32 with OLED 0.96 inch screen and 4 buttons. The board and device is primarily used for our new digital regulator and digital spunding valve but the same board could be purely used as a bluetooth bridge. As we are mass producing the board we should be able to supply the board and a suitable injection molded housing as an OEM part.

So if you wanted to do this project we can probably assist in this way to help you get started. Please PM me if you want to take this further.

Dear Kegland, thanks for reaching out, always nice to be noticed by the pro´s :)

I will try contact you, but in general this is meant as spare-time project (and so is iBLOPPER). If I would ever make some business over TILTPILLMATE, it would be by people doing the DIY building themself of installing on a ESP32, and hence, letting people donating a minor fee for the software/cloud service each year mainly to support the server if every needed.

I dont think I ever would get the spare-time to run a full business of selling such boards however the fun it could be. The nightmare of faulty parts, and getting this sold in at distribution etc., would also not be the strong side of a microbiologist :)

/Klaus

Dear Kegland, thanks for reaching out, always nice to be noticed by the pro´s :)

I will try contact you, but in general this is meant as spare-time project (and so is iBLOPPER). If I would ever make some business over TILTPILLMATE, it would be by people doing the DIY building themself of installing on a ESP32, and hence, letting people donating a minor fee for the software/cloud service each year mainly to support the server if every needed.

I dont think I ever would get the spare-time to run a full business of selling such boards however the fun it could be. The nightmare of faulty parts, and getting this sold in at distribution etc., would also not be the strong side of a microbiologist :)

/Klaus
No worries at all Klaus. Well we will do what we can to help and we will try and collaborate with you. At the end of the day we will be putting the money and time into developing the boards anyway so we are happy to share what we have with you. I will continue the discussion with you via PM.

Hello There. It would be great to talk to you about this. We are in the process of mass producing a new board with ESP32 with OLED 0.96 inch screen and 4 buttons. The board and device is primarily used for our new digital regulator and digital spunding valve but the same board could be purely used as a bluetooth bridge. As we are mass producing the board we should be able to supply the board and a suitable injection molded housing as an OEM part.

So if you wanted to do this project we can probably assist in this way to help you get started. Please PM me if you want to take this further.
RAPT Digital regulator and spunding sounds awesome. I have been working on this for a few years with some success some failures. Looking forward to seeing a commercial product.

Thank you for the new version 1.3
I have the problem that my raptpill sent the data but the spindelmate only receives 00 for all the data.
Can you be so kind and help me?
Best wishes

Michael

Hi there, it seems that after the firmware release of 17 march 2023 Kegland has changed in the telemetecic data , and hence, from firmware 20230317_094939_9285ef0 SPINDELMATE cannot read the bluetooth signal of the RAPT PILL..........I havent had time to look into it and hence unsure if I can fix it nor if it is worth duing such an game (if it is a game so to speak :)

Last edited:
Hi there, it seems that after the firmware release of 17 march 2023 Kegland has changed in the telemetecic data , and hence, from firmware 20230317_094939_9285ef0 SPINDELMATE cannot read the bluetooth signal of the RAPT PILL..........I havent had time to look into it and hence unsure if I can fix it nor if it is worth duing such an game (if it is a game so to speak :)

We have been changing the pill firmware recently so we now also have the pill giving out a new figure which is called "Gravity Velocity". The pill will average the past 180 readings (and delete outliers). It then takes these readings and works out the fermentation speed (AKA Gravity Velocity). This is essentially working out the slope of the graph of readings over time.

This figure is an important figure and it will enable us to have more robust fermentation profiles that will help us maintain an certain degree of activity in the yeast rather than just fermenting at different temperatures over different times.

The 180 readings that it averages can be taken over 6hrs, 12hrs, 1 day, 2 days or 3 days depending on what you set it to. We are going to do a video on this in the future.

SPINDELMATE version1.4.0

• Updated code for PILL identification as KEGLAND changed the RAPT Pill telemetric data, and hence, need new way to identify RAPT Pill´s. Therefore, please use "100" at "TILT Color/RAPT Pill/iSPINDEL" at setting. This find all RAPT Pills and hence if you have more than one you need to remove one from room and secondly get serial output on to get the mac-id and use this found mac-id instead, e.g. for instance 78:e4:8d:4d:21:4c. You can use Brewflasher, ESPhome flasher or Arduino IDE to show the serial output and just await it list the found Rapt Pill after Bluetooth scanning is completed after some minutes. Please NOTICE! The mac-id is slightly different than KEGLANDs Unique Device Id for some unknown reason, hence, serial output is likely needed for all users with more than one Pill.
  • AP mode for iSPINDEL has been removed as having SPINDELMATE in both AP (access point mode) and STA mode is giving instability issues. Sorry, metal fermenters users.
  • Stability code enhancements.

Can the LOLIN D32 Pro V2.0.0, with the TFT 2.4 Touch Shield V1.0.0 set up, store both the Fermentrack script and your Spindelmate scripts at the same time? Or do I need a solely dedicated ESP for each and every Tilt, iSpindle, Pill... ?
I have the Tiltbridge working great with one of my Tilts now, and would love to finally get my Pills to start working with your Spindelmate.

RAPT Digital regulator and spunding sounds awesome. I have been working on this for a few years with some success some failures. Looking forward to seeing a commercial product.
Are you "saying" there may be an Electronic controlled Spunding Valve in the works? My 2 Spunds are manual setting of the pressure relief, and not sure why I would need a computer automated version. But this all sounds great, just to have more toys to play with, while away from the fermenters!

Can the LOLIN D32 Pro V2.0.0, with the TFT 2.4 Touch Shield V1.0.0 set up, store both the Fermentrack script and your Spindelmate scripts at the same time? Or do I need a solely dedicated ESP for each and every Tilt, iSpindle, Pill... ?
I have the Tiltbridge working great with one of my Tilts now, and would love to finally get my Pills to start working with your Spindelmate.

Dear bloombrews, you cannot have more than one "spindel" or floating hydrometer on each ESP32 in regards of SPINDELMATE. Hence, for getting your RAPT PILL up an running you need one ESP32 DevVersion1 and you should be good to go.

This was developed from a bluetooth point of view assuming telemetic data is sent very often and foremost the shorest distance is need to highten the capturing. Hence, as the bluetooh signal of TILT or Rapt Pill is not the strongest the sole idea is to place the logger directly over them and hence ensure the signal is captured by a very short distance............as this alos controls the temperature though smart plugs it is important the capturing is 95-99%.

For that reason and also the cost of these ESP32 a dedicated ESP32 is needed for each TILT or RAPT Pill. The idea futurewise, it to build a multipoint login system allowing you have more ESP32/SPINDELS on each account, but still down the road........

This code is also comming out of my iBLOPPERESP32 project wich make use of gyrosope for detection of moment when a bubble is released from a S-airlock and hence reports blops pr min (BPM) besides pick up TILT/Pill gravity + temeperature, whereby it did not make sense to write the code for supporting many SPINDELS as each logger would need to be placed on each Airlock reporting that curret brew bubble-relase among the other reported data.

Hope above somehow makes sense.
Klaus

I am just now setting up my first Spindelmate, and I am stuck trying to figure out how I can find my
8 chipher iBLOPPER
number (e.g."10278845") as username!.....
I am on a Windows desktop now, and used Brewflasher to flash the ESP32 and got this message, so I assume it is now properly flashed -
The Serial Port "Auto-Select (first port with espressif device" field would not work, so I clicked on COM5 and then Brewflasher worked to flash my board

Downloaded successfully!

Command: esptool.py --port COM5 --chip esp32 --baud 9600 --before default_reset --after hard_reset write_flash 0x10000 C:\Users\bloom\AppData\Local\Temp\firmware.bin 0x8000 C:\Users\bloom\AppData\Local\Temp\partitions.bin 0x1000 C:\Users\bloom\AppData\Local\Temp\bootloader.bin 0xe000 C:\Users\bloom\AppData\Local\Temp\otadata.bin -fs detect

esptool.py v4.1
Serial port COM5

Last edited:
After you flashed it and assumingly it went well. Then the SPINDELMATE should come up with an AP (Wifi Access Point) where you can set it up for your wifi-network. Please do so.

Here it should after power on (and please remove it from power once more before continue) show a WiFi Access Point of "SPINDELMATE CONNECT XXXXXXXX" and you usernane is those XXXXXXX. Hence, you need to use this number as username when creating your account.

Hope it makes sense now.

After you flashed it and assumingly it went well. Then the SPINDELMATE should come up with an AP (Wifi Access Point) where you can set it up for your wifi-network. Please do so.

Here it should after power on (and please remove it from power once more before continue) show a WiFi Access Point of "SPINDELMATE CONNECT XXXXXXXX" and you usernane is those XXXXXXX. Hence, you need to use this number as username when creating your account.

Hope it makes sense now.
I am using an ESP32 OLED board. I used Brewflasher to flash it. But the screen is just black, nothing on it.
I do see when searching for the WiFi signal from the board - SPINDELMATE CONNECT 1390####, but when I go to your cloud logging home page,
all I see is this -

Attachments

• Screenshot (24).png
    Screenshot (24).png
    178.3 KB · Views: 0
I am using an ESP32 OLED board. I used Brewflasher to flash it. But the screen is just black, nothing on it.
I do see when searching for the WiFi signal from the board - SPINDELMATE CONNECT 1390####, but when I go to your cloud logging home page,
all I see is this -
Hi Bloom,
I dont see anything on user 1390#### commming into the CLOUD.

Hence, first question is if you did put in your wifi credentials in the logger, e.g. user/pass for the router into the logger? You would not be the first to forget this :)

Else please provide a serial extract from setting it up and also a few cycles of data..........you can use any of the installing methods to also show serial output, for instance the webbased version of BrewFlasher give you a "Log" to do it!

Secondly, you are using a ESP32 not tested before . And hence it could be it do not work.....! It hold the ESP32-WROVER chip and hence should be close though to the ESP32 Dev1 version I recommend.

/Klaus
Please Notice, As there is no code for the TFT included in this project you will not see anyhting on the screen.

I probably have a board that is not tested, and why I have nothing on the screen. I also can not connect to my home router with the correct SSID and Password.
I do get a "Saved" message in green color after entering my ssid and password, but the ESP shows it is not connected to my router.

I looked up 2 of your tested ESP boards and did not find a match on AliExpress. I wanted to get ones with an on-board screen, so I can see my gravity readings at the fermentors. Here are the two I looked up (from your list) -
HiLetgo ESP32 OLED WiFi Kit V3 Type-C and this one - ESP-32 0.96 Inch Blue OLED
Can you send me, or post a link to the tested boards, with a screen?
Thank You for all of your work on this project!

Here is the board I have (bought it about 2 years ago?) -

Attachments

• ESP32 OLED (2).jpg
    ESP32 OLED (2).jpg
    940.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ESP32 OLED.jpg
    ESP32 OLED.jpg
    807.2 KB · Views: 0
I probably have a board that is not tested, and why I have nothing on the screen. I also can not connect to my home router with the correct SSID and Password.
I do get a "Saved" message in green color after entering my ssid and password, but the ESP shows it is not connected to my router.

I looked up 2 of your tested ESP boards and did not find a match on AliExpress. I wanted to get ones with an on-board screen, so I can see my gravity readings at the fermentors. Here are the two I looked up (from your list) -
HiLetgo ESP32 OLED WiFi Kit V3 Type-C and this one - ESP-32 0.96 Inch Blue OLED
Can you send me, or post a link to the tested boards, with a screen?
Thank You for all of your work on this project!

Here is the board I have (bought it about 2 years ago?) -

Look here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...id=2023040809361720740999008729900004602413_6
https://makeradvisor.com/tools/esp32-dev-board-wi-fi-bluetooth/
https://www.amazon.com/ESP32-WROOM-32-Development-ESP-32S-Bluetooth-Arduino/dp/B084KWNMM4
.....as said before, this project dont use any TFT screen, so cannot as said help on those :-(

A computer controlled pressure relief valve?
What could go wrong! 😆

Cheers!
ya I have a mechanical spunding Pressure relief valve just incase. Even sending firmware to my ESP32 the pause and restart can build several PSI before it boots and gets to pressure regulating.

Are you "saying" there may be an Electronic controlled Spunding Valve in the works? My 2 Spunds are manual setting of the pressure relief, and not sure why I would need a computer automated version. But this all sounds great, just to have more toys to play with, while away from the fermenters!
Electronic spending during fermentation really isn't necessary. I read the time my valve is open as a type of bubble counter. The pressure regulation and CO2 pressure adding during carbonation is very handy. I just set the bright tank to my desired pressure and it handles the rest coming out perfect all the time.

.....as said before, this project dont use any TFT screen, so cannot as said help on those :-(
Now I see... NO TFT and no OLED screens. Please note your above Post #1, when you go to your Documents page link, it shows "ESP32 Supported -"
this - HiLetgo ESP32 OLED WiFi Kit V3 Type-C ESP-32 0.96 Inch Blue OLED (@Frank Nobrega for TILT testing)).
And when you go to Amazon and type this search in, it brings up this board -
https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Disp...ank+nobrega+for+tilt+testing+.,aps,152&sr=8-1This board will also NOT work (OLED screen and the Chip is a ESP32-S3
So, I am not sure what Frank Nobrega tested, but the above board will not flash properly with SPINDELMATE as the "project" when using web.BrewFlasher.com (the www.brewflasher.com, also does not work )
The error message comes back as -

Installation failed​

⚠️
Your ESP32-S3 board is not supported.
I will wait....... a few weeks until I get the non-screen board delivered from Aliexpress, and try again!

Electronic spending during fermentation really isn't necessary. I read the time my valve is open as a type of bubble counter. The pressure regulation and CO2 pressure adding during carbonation is very handy. I just set the bright tank to my desired pressure and it handles the rest coming out perfect all the time.
This conversation needs to be moved off of this Forum! Kegland started this......
I would like to "see" a computer run spunding valve..... LOL
Sorry @kbaggen

Dear All,
SPINDELMATE been updated till ver1.5.0.

• From version 1.5.0 You can use two different sensors to track the release of CO2 from your airlock and hence get a measurement of the yeast activity. In SPINDELMATE ver 1.5 and onwards the code contains support for both a MPU6050 for vibration detection of the bubble release and also support for LM393 sound sensor. The MPU6050 needs some isolation against movements, and the LM393 sensor is prone to high sounds and also interference from a fridge/cooler.
  • Code enhacement.
  • Big update on CLOUD too.

Read more at :
https://github.com/kbaggen/SPINDELMATEhttps://github.com/kbaggen/SPINDELM...ound-sensor-for-Blops-pr.-Min-(BPM)-detection

Can this repeat a rapt pill bluetooth signal or just emulate a tilt? I have a pill and a rapt temp controller and I can't get a reliable signal to the temp controller from inside my fermentation fridge. Hoping to use it like a tilt repeater.

Thanks

I wish I understood all this stuff. I have an Ispindel that worked well the first time I used it but has not worked since. I am a bit frustrated and am ready to just put it away and go back to the old way of pulling samples. Damn, I hate being old and out of date. LOL.

Can this repeat a rapt pill bluetooth signal or just emulate a tilt? I have a pill and a rapt temp controller and I can't get a reliable signal to the temp controller from inside my fermentation fridge. Hoping to use it like a tilt repeater.

Thanks

No, it just emulate the rapt pil signal into a TILT signal for those wishing to stay inside a tilt ecosystem (e.g. not to be forced into buying RAPT temp controller, etc.).

But you could buy some Power Plug (Tasmota US Plug V2 | athom) and hence Spindelmate can trigger these into controlling you cooler or heating agent.

I wish I understood all this stuff. I have an Ispindel that worked well the first time I used it but has not worked since. I am a bit frustrated and am ready to just put it away and go back to the old way of pulling samples. Damn, I hate being old and out of date. LOL.

Hi :)
Take a look at my other project: iblopper.bubble-logger.com, here you just use a sound sensor to detect the blops to follow the activity to decide when to change temperature, dry hop. This can also forsee the gravity, but you need to make a midterm hydromter sample to forsee the gravity with a few units. This one can be build very easy build and you are free to reach out to me and I glady shall elp you :)

Hi :)
Take a look at my other project: iblopper.bubble-logger.com, here you just use a sound sensor to detect the blops to follow the activity to decide when to change temperature, dry hop. This can also forsee the gravity, but you need to make a midterm hydromter sample to forsee the gravity with a few units. This one can be build very easy build and you are free to reach out to me and I glady shall elp you :)
Thank you for the offer. I already have the Ispindel, and was going to try and use Brewfather. I am a bit frustrated with it, but will work it out. I am in now way a computer person. Ask me to rebuild a 350 Chevy motor and I could probably do it. This stuff is just way over my head.

Back