Kegland Rapt Pill floating hydrometer temperature monitor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After my third iSpindel died because of beer went into it, I decide to try Pill, which seems to have a better housing design. I managed to make BrewPiLess to work with Pill in Bluetooth mode because I like to manage data in my own way. Here is my short review, mostly compared to iSpindel, which I've used for years.

- Good or better housing design, although the housing seems a little thin. The tubes that most DIY iSpindels use have opens on top, where Krausen ring gathers. Having the opening in the middle makes it easier to clean.
- Bluetooth/BLE mode works well for me. Inside a stainless fermenter inside a fridge, I have no issue receiving the signal. Currently I am using 1 minute reporting period for testing. The battery is around 65% after two weeks. (BTW, I couldn't always turn it off by laying it flat.)
- The variation of tilt angles or gravities is larger than my iSpindels. It might due to the smaller and lighter body or the performance of the sensor.

Overall, I am satisfied with Pill.

pilllog.jpg

Is anyone as mad as I am that the web dev broke the pill app/ui on older iOS versions with that big “upgrade” last fall? It mostly works on iOS 15, if you call no graph display at all mostly working. On my ios14 iPad I can’t even log in. I opened a bug and I’ve been told to write my own client app. Wtf @KegLand nice support. I use my old devices as smart home controllers, so buying a new phone isn’t an option. Can we please not break working things like that? Not sure why it broke, as it should be using the api itself. Apples dev rules don’t allow an app to just open a webpage…

Back