Spike Brewing Flex fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Bubba

Reaction score
Spike has just unveiled their Flex and Flex + conical fermentors. Spike Flex

Looks like they are trying to compete with the Brew Bucket and Anvil systems.

The plus model allows you to go to 15 psi so it can be a poor man's unitank. Nice price point. I was looking at the Anvil for small batch brewing but may need to buy this.

I admit I love bright, shiny objects.

Last edited:
I'm intrigued by this too. I'd love a Spike conical but it won't fit in my fermentation chamber so I don't want to redo my whole setup. I have an SS brew bucket but I don't like the idea of the ball valve and weldless fitting potentially harboring nasties. I do like the idea of dumping yeast and doing secondary in the same vessel with a conical.

Decisions decisions.

I like the overall design too but I do 10 gallon batches and this does not fit my process. I dont want full conicals at this point.

Thinking about the Champman 14 gallon fermenter with a lid modification for a chiller coil.

I have the 3gal SS bucket right now and am definitely eying the Flex as a second fermenter and to maybe eventually do 5 gal batches. Thing stopping me is the lack of blowoff option on the non-plus model. However getting the plus model would get me closer to doing pressurized transfers later on. The extra $125 for the plus is hard for me to justify when half the stuff you get with it I don't care about. I keg so I have no need to carbonate in it.

This caught my eye. But, I'd be interested in the base Flex, and I'll add on later. My question is what do I need to do a pressure transfer on this model. Without the 1.5 TC port on the top how would the manifold attach?

Last edited:
This caught my eye. But, I'd be interested in the base Flex, and I'll add on later. My question is what do I need to do a pressure transfer on this model. Without the 1.5 TC port on the top how would the manifold attach?
Their official list if you view the buyers guide says you must upgrade the lid to the plus model to do closed transfers. So what's the point of the 2psi rating?

I emailed Spike. They say an engineer came up with a part they describe as an airlock bung with a ball lock gas port, and of course cautioned not to over pressure. So it is possible to do closed transfers without the other lid.

I think the normal flex can do pressure xfers. Even at 2lbs it’s enough co2 to push it into the keg. The flex+ with the upgraded lid is for fermenting under pressure.

This is a photo Spike sent to me. I can't find this part on their list anywhere. It looks like they removed the airlock and stuck a gas port in the hole. I'm beginning to think they never should have stated the regular flex to do pressure transfers of any kind. Kind of slap happy in my opinion.

They list it as can be upgraded to do it. In their buyers guide they say this is what you need:
WHAT’S NEEDED:
• Closed Pressure Transfer Kit:
• 1.5” TC Butterfly Valve (included with Flex+)
• Spike+ lid (link) Upgrade (included with Flex+)
• Gas manifold

So basically "officially" you need the plus model. Even though the site also says "The Flex holds 2psi which allows for a good seal to avoid oxygen permeation and for pressure transfers to a bottling bucket or keg."

Lack of something equivalent to the SS Brewtech 90 degree elbow is a real mistake on their part if you ask me. Wonder if I could just drill a hole for the SS Brewtech elbow and find a plug for the existing hole. But that also seems like way too much work for something that should just be available as a basic option.

Thanks for all the feedback! Currently we do not have a ‘bolt on’ option for pressure transfers for the standard FLEX. However there are many different DIY options that’ll allow you to connect your CO2 tank to your FLEX. We’ll make sure engineering is aware of the demand for a CO2 connection for the standard FLEX!

Back