Sourdough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulthenurse

Fecal Transplant Super Donor
Reaction score
Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah
So after a few weeks of messing with the starter I decided that it was time to actually use some of the starter in a meal. Here is Sunday's supper, a Gorgonzolla, olive taponade, green onion and sourdough pizza. Tasted as good as it looks.

DSCF2905.jpg

I also made a loaf of whole wheat bread that was 'to die for.' We had some as straigh up bread and we used some for french toast for breakfast.

DSCF2906.jpg

And of course, since KOG's thread was about Pretzels, I needed to try my hand. Thanks KOG!

DSCF2907.jpg

Someone needs to teach me how to twist the damned things. I couldn't believe it. I spent four years in the Coast Guard. You can't name a knot I can't tie. But I felt like a boot in bootcamp trying to tie the damned pretzels. WTH, they tasted just fine.

PT

I would love it if someone could give me a plain sourdough recipe for use with a bread machine.. including the starter

btw, that looks delicious.

The starter is the easy part. Equal parts flour and room temp water. I started with 1/4 cup each. Mix and put a loose lid on. 2 days later, add another 1/4 cup of each to double what you have. Next day double that. Next day double that. Once you get to the point where doubling won't fit in your container, throw enough away so it will fit. It took a good 7 days before my starter was really showing a lot of life, frothy and light, just like krausen. It's now ready to bake with. Letting it rise overnight seems to work wonders because it's slow compared to baker's yeast. Check out breadtopia.com

Ya the starter is the easy part. I added a handful of crushed pale malt after a few weeks when it wasn't souring fast enough to suit me. Not only did that sour it overnight but it adds some flavors and aromas that weren't there before. It was like adding crushed malt to a wort to sour it when you are making a sour beer. The malt has all sorts of nasties on it, wild yeasts, brett. lactobacilous, and other tasty critters.

The other thing to consider is to alternate using white flour with rye flour when you feed the starter. The rye has it's own funk that is quite pleasant. I was told by someone on here, I think it was Zoe, that if you keep the starter on the dry side it promotes more lactobacilus which gives a greater souring effect. So far everyone who's had the bread loves it.
PTN

aekdbbop said:
I would love it if someone could give me a plain sourdough recipe for use with a bread machine.. including the starter

btw, that looks delicious.

Brian, I think that bread machines don't give the dough enough time to sour and rise. Todays commercial active dried yeast produces a pretty fast rise. Sourdough takes longer, not just for the rising but to sour also.

PTN

Latest posts

Back