Sourdough Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wernicksbane

Reaction score
I noticed somebody tried to make a beer with a sourdough starter, but they tossed the 1 L sourdough starter into 5 gallon wort. When you make the sourdough starter, at each stage you feed your original starter by doubling the flour that is in the jar and adding water to the desired consistency, and continue doubling every twenty four hours until the starter begins to rise dramatically so it's ready to bake bread.

In addition, you can convert your starter to a stiff starter for baking bread by, once your "liquid starter" has formed, to feed it by adding 2/3 cup flour to 1/3 cup liquid. A stiff starter will make a mellow bread, while a liquid starter will make a more sour bread.

It seems to me that the reason it takes a year for the guy's method of adding 1 L starter to 5 gallon wort to produce a sour taste, is that he is overwhelming his sourdough starter with the wort. Also adding grapes would add to lacto bacteria production. Oh, and one thing about sourdough starter, is that even if you purchase a sourdough starter from a different region, it will eventually get converted to the natural bacteria and yeast of your region, because the natural yeast and bacteria apparantly take over.

So it would seem to me that in making the wort for making beer, to use much less water in making your wort, so that you have a syrupy consistency in the end. Also, you wouldn't need an airlock because your sourdough starter, since it's the starter that is from your region, will defeat any "bad" yeasts or bacteria. So take your sourdough starter and continue to add a portion of your syrupy wort as well as water (in this case the syrupy wort is the feed agent that must feed your sourdough starter so it doesn't mellow) until you reach five gallons. This seems to me to be better than adding a sourdough starter that is designed to process dry flour into a sour loaf, ie to feed your sourdough starter like you're baking a loaf of bread, but instead of adding flour, to add a thick wort syrup, and continue adding your wort syrup in stages along with water until you get what you want. Also, it seems to me to keep the wort syrup in a cold refrigerator until you've finished processing your wort until it's allowed to ferment without having to add more wort.

Back