Sourdough/Beer Starter First Timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutra2418

Reaction score
So I made a sourdough starter last night by crushing 1/2oz 2 row, 1/4oz crystal 40 and about 1.5oz water. I also threw a pinch of flour in for good measure to try and give those yeasties some extra food. My intention is to use this for not only a sourdough starter but also a starter for beer too. This is my first foray into capturing wild yeast in general so my question is 2(ish) fold.

1) Will the 2 row and Crystal 40 even provide enough sugar for yeast to take off if I didn't mash them? I figured the water, even at room temp would allow the germination to resume.

and

2) IF this thing does take off how long should I wait until I harvest it for brewing, what should I brew with it?

It's been sitting for about a day so far and it smells like wet grain would normally smell after mashing and sitting for a few hours.

I came across this thread from wondering the same thing. I have a sourdough starter that's about 2 years old and I was thinking about using it to make a small test batch. I'm just getting into brewing again for the first time in a few years and did my first AG batch a couple of weeks ago (mostly a disaster), but I listen to a lot of Basic Brewing Radio podcasts and I'm thinking of trying a one gallon Brew in a Bag batch and fermenting with some of my starter. If I do it I'll definitely post something. Keep us posted if you do go through with it.

I tried it a few years ago with a Kvass which turned out pretty well, but I didn't get much sourness out of it (that said the starter never made expecially acidic sourdough bread either).

Back