Something magical happens with 1 month + of cold bottle aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
I love it when I discover a bottle of my homebrew that has been cold aging for several weeks in the fridge. So clear now and so fine now. If only there were more of them.

I think I need a second fridge to keep my cold and out of sight long enough for this kind of magic to happen

Yep. It amazes me how many home brewers can't wait another two weeks. Get on a brewing schedule so you are drinking beer you bottled a month ago. The waiting up front is a small price to pay for properly aged beer.

When I bottled I used cardboard paper boxes that I scavenged from the office. I put my bottles in them and stacked them on shelves. At first I was drinking green beer, but as I continued to build a pipeline I got to the point where I was spoiled for choice and waiting was easy. I would still pop one open to satisfy my curiosity on how it turned out, but then I would wait on the rest.

The key is to get a good pipeline going

2 things.

First, well done on making a great beer.
Second, what your post is really about is having a proper pipeline so that your beers have the time to age correctly.

Unfortunately for me, a proper pipeline continues to elude me. I do 10 gallon batches, I brew every three weeks, and I cant keep up with demand. I enjoy 3-4 beers each night, my wife has 0-3, a lot more on weekends, miss a brew weekend because of a holiday or birthday, and the pipeline runs dry.

I have to upgrade to 20 gallon batches. Brewing every other weekend just wont work for me.

I guess what I am saying is for a person to maintain a proper pipeline, a serious look at lifestyle and consumption is required, and then buy the equipment to do it.

Latest posts

Back