I wonder what would happen if....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I've been absent a while; here, but busy with work and life (and not brewing enough apparently). My five-tap kegerator currently only has one very aged mini-keg of wee heavy that I'm not happy with; got a couple ready to go, a lager that's kegging now and a super-banana-forward wit/something that will get kegged tomorrow. And yes there is coors light in my fridge, I'm ashamed (and rather lighter in the pocketbook) to admit.

As I was waiting the hour-plus for my fermzilla to do its pressure transfer with no oxygen thing (takes effing FOREVER) I thought, what would happen if I just popped my 5lb co2 tank on it to, well, speed things up a bit? Not much, apparently. But it got me thinking, as I sometimes do. Been a while since I've done one of these, and I need some entertainment in my boring life.

So the Seatazzz Silly Question of the Moment is: when have you said 'I wonder what would happen if I did/added/changed/deleted/banjaxed this?' Preferably in brewing, but can be any hobby/project/love interest/hold my beer/etc. Also preferably, something you did NOT ask advice on beforehand, just to make it more interesting/entertaining/earth-shattering. Okay, go!!

BD38601B-9AF1-4EC9-9CF2-33FE90816F8E.jpeg
I’ve noticed that the blow off tube is drawing up fluid at night so I’m wondering if I can clip it. An airlock grommet doesn’t fit tightly enough

I've got a couple that may apply:
1) Slapped together my super budget, fairly rednecked 240v boil keggle, and said "Self, what's the worst that can happen if we leave out this whole grounding and GFI business?" So far, nothing except that one time I got tickled by a failing element.

2) You folks put proven recipes into competitions? I sure don't. I filled a pint jar with Jack Daniel's barrel smoking woodchips, and topped it up with Jack Daniel's. The whole concoction got tossed into a Kentucky Common. The beer somehow took on this weird reefer-like skunkiness that went over really well with select tasters, and elicited a professional "WTF" from the judges.

3) Professionally, I wired in an old VFD to a process pump I wanted to adjust on the fly. Apparently there are some weird physics that come into play with VFDs and distance, and within a few weeks the motor in question went up in a glorious plume of smoke.

USE to have a zip-line in my back yard. I say 'use to' because after having a few to many, I decided to get my 225lb drunk ass up there and take a running start over the edge. Needless to say I crashed right to the ground and ruined the zip-line for everybody. Apparently, there's a weight limit

... just put my well rinsed bottles upside down in Sam Adams cases with cardboard dividers then heat pasteurize in the oven instead of washing, sanitizing, and bottle tree drying. Been doing this for a couple of years. Wipe the top of the bottle with Star San soaked cloth before bottling and capping. What happened? Nothing.

Despite my life being a continuous string of “what ifs” followed by the unpleasant consequences, I can’t for the life of me think of a good one at the moment …being able to remember my early 20s would be nice right about now. “Then why bother to comment?”, you ask?

Because the OP used the word “banjax” and this is my first encounter in the wild with anyone who uses that word aside from myself (and my wife, who picked it up from me) so I’m typing stuff because I imagine anyone who has that word in common usage in their vocabulary probably has effed up a lot of stuff (enough to find a unique word for it) and is therefore a kindred spirit (or maybe Scottish?). So cheers to you!

…what would happen if I typed out a long, rambling post about a word that I never hear anyone else use?

Despite my life being a continuous string of “what ifs” followed by the unpleasant consequences, I can’t for the life of me think of a good one at the moment …being able to remember my early 20s would be nice right about now. “Then why bother to comment?”, you ask?

Because the OP used the word “banjax” and this is my first encounter in the wild with anyone who uses that word aside from myself (and my wife, who picked it up from me) so I’m typing stuff because I imagine anyone who has that word in common usage in their vocabulary probably has effed up a lot of stuff (enough to find a unique word for it) and is therefore a kindred spirit (or maybe Scottish?). So cheers to you!

…what would happen if I typed out a long, rambling post about a word that I never hear anyone else use?
I too have rarely heard 'banjaxed' used in other than a few books I have read; this word, along with 'gobsmacked' is one of my favorites. Whenever I say banjaxed I picture a banjo with an axe head, smashing into something that will shortly be ruined. No I'm not Irish but I have it in my lineage.

I too have rarely heard 'banjaxed' used in other than a few books I have read; this word, along with 'gobsmacked' is one of my favorites. Whenever I say banjaxed I picture a banjo with an axe head, smashing into something that will shortly be ruined. No I'm not Irish but I have it in my lineage.
This is a very similar visualization to the one I get. I’m of Appalachian descent so there’s a significant amount of Celtic lineage in there by default. I don’t even remember where I first heard/read it but it definitely stuck… and now my wife and kids say it…

i bought a kegerator without telling the wife . it was delivered to the front door. i snuck it around back to the celler door and got it in the basement without her knowing. the box in the garbage gave it away. i had more trouble hiding that from her then the actual kegerator. for some reason i thought the box would go unnoticed in the garbage. that was my big mistake. they notice f-ing everything.

Gobshite is probably my favorite word lately. I only recently discovered it, but I love the sound of it and it accurately describes so many people. 😁

Back