So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not brewed a "real" NEIPA in over 2 years. I have brewed a few Hazy Pale Ales and American IPAs, but I figured 2022 would be a good year to shift some focus on figuring out this style. Also, I need to use up all those hops I keep buying!!

So I brewed a 2.5 gallon batch. The grain bill was heavily influenced by the Averagely Perfect NorthEast IPA recipe (my last NEIPA had some Golden Naked Oats and a mix of Pils and Maris Otter, but I wanted a lighter grain bill this time).
  • 73.0% - 5 lbs - Rahr 2-Row
  • 11.7% - 0.8 lbs - Flaked Oats
  • 11.7% - 0.8 lbs - White Wheat Malt
  • 3.6% - 0.25 lbs - Honey Malt
I have used Centennial on the hot side before for this style, and I doubled down on the "Survivables" research and went for 100% Centennial in the whirlpool (see https://cryopopblend.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Survivable-Compounds-Handbook.pdf)
  • 3 oz - Centennial - 20 min steep @ 172F (plan was 180F, opps)
I pitched on pack of Lallemand Verdant. OG was 1.067, so it should clock in around 7%.

The dry hop plan is
  • 2 oz Azacca
  • 2 oz El Dorado
I brewed it back on Friday evening, pitched the yeast and left home for the weekend (with my chamber set at 66F). I attached a 3/8" blowoff tube that I hoped would handle any blowout. When I got hope, it looks like I got just a touch of krausen into the first couple inches of the blowoff tube.

I am optimistic that it will be an attractive light gold color, and not the murky tan mess it looks like in the fermenter on Friday!

IMG_3719.JPG

Yesterday, since we were stuck at home with 40 cm of fresh snow, I brewed a batch of Dogfish Head 60 clone, using Yoopers recipe. This was after I bottled 5 gallons of Bohemian Pilsner on Sunday. Both were made using the PLETO method.

I plan on brewing a Burton Ale later this week then a batch of Altbier to share a keg with my buddy. I'm pretty sure I'll get something else done soon like a Dunkel or Dunkelweisse to drink on.

I made 2 quick extract IPA's this weekend because I had neglected my pipeline and I was pressed for time. Frankly, I have high hopes for both. First one was all Cascade with a German ale yeast.
The second brew was my first use of a Kviek. 50 ibu' s of Warrior for bittering, 1 oz Simcoe at 5. 1 oz Amarillo 30 minute hopstand starting at 185 degrees. 1 oz Citra dry hop shortly.
Hoping for good things.

I’m stuck in stout land. I brewed a milk stout, then a dry stout which is finishing up now. I figure I might as well do an Imperial Stout off the same yeast while I’m at it. They are only 3 gallon batches. I was going to brew the Imperial stout today but life got in the way so I’ll do it tomorrow.

After this I want to get back to an APA and an IPA (west coast). I might do the Centennial Blonde recipe from this site first and then into those 2.

After that I have an out of date Imperial Pub yeast to revive and do a couple British beers again. Best Bitter and maybe a Bass clone or something like that. Unless I find something really interesting on Mr. Pattinson’s site. I have about my next 6 brews laid out.

ps - saw a recipe in craft beer and brewing mag for a chocolate stout brewed with marzipan. Sounds interesting. If you've brewed with marzipan before, let me know any lessons learned.

I “brewed” 2 gallons of Apfelwein today. My wife had bought a couple gallons of apple juice and then decided she wasn’t going to use it right away and didn’t want it taking up space in the kitchen. I didn’t have any wine yeast so I used 4 grams of Munich Classic. IME, that yeast tends to be noticeably spicy when fermented on the cool side, so I thought that might play well with the tartness of the apple juice. I added half a pound of table sugar. My ferm fridge is set at 64° for the Porter I brewed a few days ago so we’ll see what I get.
I have (2) 5 lb containers of honey I have to figure out what to do with. It’s generic honey I got at the Amish farm store near here. I bought them a couple months ago thinking I might use honey instead of LME or DME to boost the og in my annual barleywine. But I brewed that and the honey never went in it.

I haven’t had a ton of luck with mead - I still have almost 3 cases of it I brewed in 2017. Not great and nobody is drinking it. I’m thinking down the road I might do a honey brown ale. But that won’t use that much honey.

After that I have an out of date Imperial Pub yeast to revive and do a couple British beers again. Best Bitter and maybe a Bass clone or something like that. Unless I find something really interesting on Mr. Pattinson’s site. I have about my next 6 brews laid out.

The other day I laid out what I expect to be the bulk of my 2022 beers. Except for another go at my Traquair Approximation, it'll be a year of historic Fullers recipes sourced from Shut Up.

Fullers 1939 OBE 1.071/50IBU (now in primary)
Fullers 1941 PA Special 1.057/36IBU
Fullers 1887 AK 1.050/39IBU
Fullers 1910 AK 1.045/34IBU
Fullers 1939 PA 1.051/43IBU
Fullers 1887 BS 1.068/47IBU
Traquair House 1.070/30IBU (via Alworth)
Fullers ESB 1.057 (via this forum)
Fullers 1887 or 1897 XXK 1.079/87IBU

Planning to brew all of these Fuller's with one pack of Pub. Traquair the outlier with Notty.

If this year's brett'd Stock Ale turns out well, the 1887/97 XXK will get a year in the cellar with some brett c. Not sure yet which I'll go with. They're pretty much the same, except one replaces the other's crystal malt with brown.

I need to goto the grocery store tomorrow; if they have any fresh ginger I'm planning to brew a 3 gallon batch of ginger ale Thursday or Friday, with both fresh and powdered ginger to get it really spicy. Just winging it :) I'll use citric acid instead of phosphoric or lactic to acidify the mash because I want the citric taste to carry through. Just a little bit of hops for preservative. And I might use a wine yeast that can't ferment complex sugars so it will have more body and maybe even a little sweetness.

If they don't have any ginger I'll have to figure something else out :cool:

Thinking of brewing an Irish Blonde; how does this recipe look?

5.85 lb 2-row
.6 lb flaked barley
.6 lb flaked oats
.6 oz Fuggles @60 / .3 oz East Kent Goldings @30 / .3 oz Williamette @ 10
Safale S-04
Cheers!

I need to goto the grocery store tomorrow; if they have any fresh ginger I'm planning to brew a 3 gallon batch of ginger ale Thursday or Friday, with both fresh and powdered ginger to get it really spicy. Just winging it :) I'll use citric acid instead of phosphoric or lactic to acidify the mash because I want the citric taste to carry through. Just a little bit of hops for preservative. And I might use a wine yeast that can't ferment complex sugars so it will have more body and maybe even a little sweetness.

Just started. Here's my recipe: (no idea if it's any good) The high mash temperature and the wine yeast are attempts to make it slightly sweet.

Attachments

• 0122 Ginger Beer - Beer Recipe - Brewer's Friend.pdf
    196.8 KB · Views: 10
Was given a pound of hop pellets that I’d never heard of before. Figured I’d give’em a go in an IPA. Just mashed 12lbs of pale with 2.5lbs of 50L crystal. Will use a spare pack of US-05 I have in the fridge.

Attachments

• 615212EB-1694-44E0-B9F8-9947CFA1D10A.jpeg
    615212EB-1694-44E0-B9F8-9947CFA1D10A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
The wort is in the bucket with a sanitized ice bottle to chill it down the rest of the way (my immersion chiller sucks), and most of the mess is cleaned up. Brew kettle, chiller, immersion heater, &c are put away and the stove is wiped down. Just need to mop the kitchen floor.

The whole house smells like ginger. I usually brew when my wife is out of town because she doesn't like the smell; I think she might like the smell of this one.

Time for a HB.

Is that one of the Fermonster "MonsterMesh Strainers"? (MonsterMesh Strainer for FermMonster Carboys | MoreBeer) How do you like it? Do you use it for dry hopping?

Yep, that's exactly what it is. I do like it. I use it even when I'm not dry hopping because i feel the rubber top makes for a much better seal against the cap than the thin little gasket in the cap.

For dry hopping, I'm happy with it. Less mess than throwing the hops in loose but better results than using bags (I was never thrilled when I used bags.) Before this last batch, I made a west coast IPA and dry hopped with 1.5 oz. In a 2.5 gal batch and was really happy with the resulting aroma.

Best to use something to weigh the strainer bag down else it will want to float. I drop in a bunch of sanitized glass beads from my wife's crafting stash.

Bob, I recommend using some of the ginger in a tincture and add at bottle/Kegging. It definitely helps with adding the spice factor. :mug:

Long week of being sick and working from home, so tomorrow going to do a Strata Pale Ale. I did one with Galaxy a few brews back and it was delicious, so going to try it with Strata this time. Should have milled grain tonight but wanted to finish the heel on my sock, took a nap, and now the house is asleep so I don't want to run that loud mill. Plenty of time tomorrow.

One of the benefits of living in the deep South is that I can brew outdoors basically year-round. Unfortunately, that makes me a wimp with respect to cold weather, so when we get those infrequent freezes, it cancels/delays my brew day.

Such is my situation today. Could I brew on my deck in 24F? Sure, but I'd rather stay inside, drink beer, and do some brewery maintenance.

One of these days, I'll get my garage cleaned out sufficiently to brew in there.

Back