So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m super excited to be doing my first all-grain batch in my igloo 3V system with a new digiboil kettle. Keeping it simple with a Cascade APA. I can’t wait to bottle the best bitter partial mash in the fermenter so I can brew on Saturday!

I brewed a Citra IPA with a 15 minute boil. Recipe calculator predicts 60 IBUs, fingers crossed. OG around 1.050 and pitched half a pack of Voss kveik into 2.5 gallons. Dry hops added soon
20210715_144257.jpg

Just started the pump recirculating on a batch of House lager, first one done in the finally completed new mash tun. CIP ball for the sparge "arm" is working spectacularly, much better than expected. No more channeling like I had with my old one! Fully expect to gain a couple more percentage points in efficiency today. And it's early enough that I can do another batch right after this one, same recipe, because it goes FAST in my house.

I have a week off until my new job starts, so I did the unthinkable and brewed on a Tuesday 🙄

Brewed a NEIPA with Motueka, Vic Secret and El Dorado.

OG came out to 1.063.
PXL_20210720_153143301.jpg
PXL_20210720_194133581.jpg

Lallemand New England yeast, and will dry hop with Enigma and Experimental HBC 630 at high krausen.

I have a week off until my new job starts, so I did the unthinkable and brewed on a Tuesday 🙄

Brewed a NEIPA with Motueka, Vic Secret and El Dorado.

OG came out to 1.063.View attachment 736223View attachment 736224

Lallemand New England yeast, and will dry hop with Enigma and Experimental HBC 630 at high krausen.
That's the same yeast I used for mine. First time trying it. Wasn't necessarily my first choice, but I needed to use it up and figured it would work.

That's the same yeast I used for mine. First time trying it. Wasn't necessarily my first choice, but I needed to use it up and figured it would work.
Mine too. I brew 2.5 and 3 gallon batches, so liquid yeast is usually not practical for me. I've heard good things about this yeast, though, so I'm hoping it turns out nice.

Have you already drank yours? If so, how was it?

Mine too. I brew 2.5 and 3 gallon batches, so liquid yeast is usually not practical for me. I've heard good things about this yeast, though, so I'm hoping it turns out nice.

Have you already drank yours? If so, how was it?
My brew is the one above yours, so no it isn't ready yet :). It's also a 2.5ish gallon brew. Small world :)

Haha, didn't even notice. Nice! I'll probably try out the Verdant strain next.
That I have used and it is one of my favourite yeasts. Be prepared for the krausen to end all krausens when you use it. Get's nice and big and refuses to drop.

That I have used and it is one of my favourite yeasts. Be prepared for the krausen to end all krausens when you use it. Get's nice and big and refuses to drop.
I'll definitely use a blow-off tube for that one!

Once the second hose kit gets here today, my brewstand will be fully natural gas; so Saturday I'm planning a simple Kolsch to inaugurate it. Got a longer nipple for the mash tun lid so it doesn't try to spray out the top too. Cannot WAIT to get started!

I brew 2.5 and 3 gallon batches, so liquid yeast is usually not practical for me.

Odd...I always figure that a single pack of White Labs or Wyeast is a perfect pitch rate for my 2.5 gallon batches without having to mess around with starters. With most dry yeast I have to wonder about pitching the entire pack, or just pitching half and saving the other half. I am using dry yeast more often these days due to the cost savings, longer shelf life and convenience.

Friday’s the weekend. Brewing a Liberty Ale clone - 2-row and cascade hops with way too much hop extract. Ordered a 10 mL extract and was sent a can of extract. Should last me a while.
CEE340C9-24BA-4DA1-B571-3AE50E4688CB.jpeg
35B98045-8C28-4566-BB75-5A843393D8FC.jpeg

Up super early because just too excited to get started! Brewstand with NG hit strike temperature in 15 minutes (5 minutes faster than propane! Woohoo!) and is doing a fantastic job of heating up the sparge now. Beyond happy with this major improvement to the brewery! Lowered the CIP ball for the sparge with a longer nipple and now it's not spraying out under the lid either. Oh I am giddy!!!

Did a double-header today, just put away all the gear and having some beers.

First was an English brown ale. Shooting for 5.5 gal in the fermenter, but overshot a bit. Got 6 gal and 4 points under target OG, but that's OK, as my recipe was on the high end of the style gravity range. Maris/Munich I/brown malt/pale chocolate. Lyle's Golden Syrup at the end of the boil. Triple Perle for bittering, Fuggles at flameout. Pitched Notty.

Second was 4 gallons of apple/black cherry cider. Bought a bunch of black cherry juice and apple juice at Aldi. Pitched S-04.

Both in the ferm chamber at 64F.

It's still the weekend...
Got a kölsch on boil right now.
Surprised how last brew I did was a Munich Helles and I was under my efficiency and this time I changed the way I sparged improving my efficiency about 10%.
should help since my next brew is likely to be a Russian imperial stout and dry Irish stout partigyle.

I brewed a Citra IPA with a 15 minute boil. Recipe calculator predicts 60 IBUs, fingers crossed. OG around 1.050 and pitched half a pack of Voss kveik into 2.5 gallons. Dry hops added soon

How did this turn out? At what temp did you ferment? I'm planning my next brew and I got a packet of Lallemand Voss that I'd like to test and was thinking of doing some sort of standard IPA

How did this turn out? At what temp did you ferment? I'm planning my next brew and I got a packet of Lallemand Voss that I'd like to test and was thinking of doing some sort of standard IPA
I bottled it, so it's still conditioning and I can't speak for the final product. The samples post fermentation were very citrusy and bitter, just what I was going for. I fermented in the mid 90s F initially, and it lowered to mid 80s by day 4 or 5 (no temp control except for a wool blanket and ambient outdoor temps in Virginia). I find Voss throws a lot of orange, which can be great in the right style, an IPA sounds nice. I cannot get it to floccuate very well despite being described as "high" floccuation by the manufacturer. Not a deal breaker for me, but just an observation. Cheers!

Brewing one of my all time favorites, Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat, using my homegrown rhubarb. Only my second brew this year so far thanks to surgery a few months ago and a hectic work schedule.

Did a double-header today, just put away all the gear and having some beers.

First was an English brown ale. Shooting for 5.5 gal in the fermenter, but overshot a bit. Got 6 gal and 4 points under target OG, but that's OK, as my recipe was on the high end of the style gravity range. Maris/Munich I/brown malt/pale chocolate. Lyle's Golden Syrup at the end of the boil. Triple Perle for bittering, Fuggles at flameout. Pitched Notty.

Second was 4 gallons of apple/black cherry cider. Bought a bunch of black cherry juice and apple juice at Aldi. Pitched S-04.

Both in the ferm chamber at 64F.
You're going to absolutely love that cider. I've done it a bunch of times now and it always comes out perfect. Simplest recipe in the world and tastes as good as something you can get commercially.

Brewing up a SNPA clone today, because I've got lots of Cascade pellets that need to go in something. Third brew on the finished brewstand, and it's amazing how consistent everything already is. Strike temperature of 163 reached in 15 minutes, mash at 152.1, and lost just barely a degree in 30 minutes. Ah, this is the life.

Back