So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing up a batch of the house WF lager today; thought I had plenty left but apparently the husband has been having more of it than usual and it's about to kick. No worries, this will go on proven slurry and will be done in 10 days or less if I want it to be.

In the middle of the mash on a Scottish Heavy 70/- that I am making for my brother in law, who is coming from Colorado with his family for vacation next month. I'm going to call it "Robert The Bruce". Smells wonderful on my back lanai right now. Gonna put this one on nitro! Have a great weekend everyone!

John

Was planning to brew a NEIPA today. Got the water all prepped, most equipment out, starter is done. Then a friend invites us over to hang out by the lake, and the yard work has piled up and it’ll rain tomorrow... I think I’ll push the brew day to tomorrow. Feels like a delayed missile launch every time! 😣

In the middle of the mash on a Scottish Heavy 70/- that I am making for my brother in law, who is coming from Colorado with his family for vacation next month. I'm going to call it "Robert The Bruce". Smells wonderful on my back lanai right now. Gonna put this one on nitro! Have a great weekend everyone!

John
There’s a brewery here in MT, Überbrew, that brews a Scottish Ale they call “The Bruce”. It’s really good.

I'm bottling some cider today. Will dump 3 more gallons of apple juice on the lees, then top up with another gallon when the foam settles down. (4 gallon carboys) I also plan to brew an adaptation of Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer tonight.

John
Best Scottish Ale name I’ve ever heard is Blow Me Bagpipe

I got strike water heating for a experimental batch of 100% 'store bought' munich malt. grains are milled.

Should be interesting, and REALLY expensive, this stuff is going to be like $4.5 a twelve pack! i hope i learn something, or at least it's really good! :mug:
I originally read that as $4.50/PINT not 12-pack, and sat here wondering how the hell a homebrewer could make something that expensive...on my best day I can't do over $1/pint unless I buy everything by the recipe instead of in bulk and still can't even get close! Unless I factor in the cost of my equipment over 6 years....and my time...then I read it again, did the math (yes with a calculator) and kicked meself. I need another pint.

Was planning to brew a NEIPA today. Got the water all prepped, most equipment out, starter is done. Then a friend invites us over to hang out by the lake, and the yard work has piled up and it’ll rain tomorrow... I think I’ll push the brew day to tomorrow. Feels like a delayed missile launch every time! 😣
We need a live stream channel for homebrewers. Just like SpaceX, maybe we can get some hot rocket scientists to sit around and comment on what we're doing...

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, this is the weekend I brew an all-grain version of my extract Black Pearl Tripel that (if my hydrometer is to be believed) topped out at 14% ABV.

Since it's not really the same, I have decided to rename it as Jack Sparrow's Why Is The Beer Always Gone? tripel ale. I have the Wyeast 3787 spinning on the stir plate, grains all bagged up and ready to crush, and 6 gallons of spring/3 gallons of distilled water for blending to lower the mineral content of the mash water.

Friday's the day.

I'm excited. I've been nervous about resuming brewing, but after 4 dry years I'm making a yeast starter for a hefeweizen to brew this weekend. Mice got into my malt extract, and it was getting pretty old, so I'm mashing 3 pounds of red wheat for a 2L starter. All I needed was to take that first step.

i've got some tropical ipa yeast from last summer that was in a jar in the fridge i managed to coax back to life creating a starter right now.
Plan is to do an IPA.
I really like these high temp yeasts for 5 gallon batches. I can just leave them on the kitchen counter to churn away.

sat here wondering
factor in the cost of my equipment
did the math
I need another pint

I have learnt to not put too much cerebral effort into @bracconiere posts as I might hurt myself :ban:

I'm excited. I've been nervous about resuming brewing, but after 4 dry years I'm making a yeast starter for a hefeweizen to brew this weekend. Mice got into my malt extract, and it was getting pretty old, so I'm mashing 3 pounds of red wheat for a 2L starter. All I needed was to take that first step.

I'll be the first -- welcome back.
I'll be the first -- we need to help you name your re-inaugural beer -- "Mice Drool"
Thank you very much
I'm here till Thursday...

I have learnt to not put too much cerebral effort into @bracconiere posts as I might hurt myself

^^^^ +1 :mug:

to keep this on track, i was seriously considering buying some apple juice and adding yeast...does that count as brewing? going to take a week for a batch of malt to be done, but haven't had cider in a while, and my kegs are threating to leave me if i don't fill them....

That’s ApfelWein. Montrachet champagne yeast, maybe some corn sugar. There’s a great thread on HBT about it. But it does take about 6 weeks to clear.

Planning on a new trick to brew two batches at once. I just got a second mash tun.

I would fill 10 gallon in the anvil kettle and boil five minutes to dissolve the oxygen. Will also boil 3.5 gallon on the side. I'll mash both, while heating a few gallons more for mash out infusion. Then boil one batch at a time.

I figure that I could add to the brewday only the kettle cleaning between the two boil, boil time and cooldown time/pitching of the second batch, so 1:30. Wish me luck!

Brewed a Pale Ale using Amarillo, Cascade, Citra and Mosaic in the whirlpool and dry hopping with Amarillo, Citra and Mosaic. Let’s hear it for the citrus🍍🍊🍻
214F4C32-25D1-4B1B-B705-633FA1A007F2.jpeg

I'm planning on two batches this weekend, both are firsts...one with another first.

Saturday: Winter Seasonal
Sunday: First NEIPA and first time using liquid yeast.

Did the starter last night, planning on using Sunday. Guess I didn't screw it up, pic from this morning.

11EB8B63-1BD0-4839-B433-F045D0E89686.jpeg

I'm planning on two batches this weekend, both are firsts...one with another first.

Saturday: Winter Seasonal
Sunday: First NEIPA and first time using liquid yeast.

Did the starter last night, planning on using Sunday. Guess I didn't screw it up, pic from this morning.

View attachment 729808
Looks good to me.

Latest posts

Back