So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The yeast really took off much earlier than others (which was what I had heard about this). Seems to be slowing quite a bit after 16 hours. Hoping to capture an reuse This a lot since my LHBS didn’t have it and had to pay for shipping. Also, in the summer I can cool wort to 90 pretty easy, but getting to 65 is a challenge with my wort chiller, so this, hopefully, will be my go to yeast.
Pitched at 9:45 this morning, probably about 95 degrees. At 2:45pm had high krausen, and it's looking good so far. Probably gonna get some big fruity esters out of it, but it's what I'm aiming for anyway. Hoping it turns out well, if it does there's my new IPA yeast.

Pitched at 9:45 this morning, probably about 95 degrees. At 2:45pm had high krausen, and it's looking good so far. Probably gonna get some big fruity esters out of it, but it's what I'm aiming for anyway. Hoping it turns out well, if it does there's my new IPA yeast.
Are you keeping it at around 95°? If so, how? Or are you letting it slowly fall to ambient temp?

Are you keeping it at around 95°? If so, how? Or are you letting it slowly fall to ambient temp?
It's in the warmest room in the house, wrapped in a fleece blanket and a towel. Fermometer on the fermonster won't even register the temp it's higher than it goes. Outside of the fermenter is warm so I think it's fine.

I bought my first pack of Kveik today; LHBS was out of the A43 so I got the Kveiking blend. Dunno yet what I'm going to use it for first, but can't wait to see how it does.
It's in the warmest room in the house, wrapped in a fleece blanket and a towel. Fermometer on the fermonster won't even register the temp it's higher than it goes. Outside of the fermenter is warm so I think it's fine.

I didn’t do anything to keep the temperature high - it’s fermenting in my garage which is higher than other rooms. But, this yeast doesn’t have to ferment high, it’s supposed to be fine as low as 70. So I started at 82 and then just let it go as it does. Big difference is it can go higher temps with no off flavors. Will be my go to yeast as well without the worries of temp control.

Did a batch of Iron Horse Irish Death this morning; pitched at about 9:45am, and it's got a beautiful foamy krausen going now. Happy with two good brews under my belt for the weekend, now to get some steaks going to celebrate first night off after being done with second job!

Did a batch of Iron Horse Irish Death this morning; pitched at about 9:45am, and it's got a beautiful foamy krausen going now. Happy with two good brews under my belt for the weekend, now to get some steaks going to celebrate first night off after being done with second job!

Is it one you have done before? I love me some Irish Death, but after moving to NC I found I cannot get it here so looking for a good clone I can make. I am moving over to BIAB, is your's AG or extract?

Is it one you have done before? I love me some Irish Death, but after moving to NC I found I cannot get it here so looking for a good clone I can make. I am moving over to BIAB, is your's AG or extract?
I've not done this recipe before, but so far it's pretty damn close. I got the recipe from my LHBS, the owner has done it several times and swears by it. Here's the link: https://jonshomebrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/IRISH-DEATH-CLONE.pdf . Recipe is for both all-grain and partial mash.

I've not done this recipe before, but so far it's pretty damn close. I got the recipe from my LHBS, the owner has done it several times and swears by it. Here's the link: https://jonshomebrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/IRISH-DEATH-CLONE.pdf . Recipe is for both all-grain and partial mash.

Ok cool. I have that one already (I think from one of your other posts), but haven't tried it yet. Good to know that a few folks find this one to be a good one. Thanks!

I plan on brewing this weekend but have a lot to set up. Need to set the gap on my mill, need to set up my glycol chiller, need to make a yeast bank with the yeast ill be pitching, need to make a 2 step starter for the damn yeast. Wish me luck yall, gonna try hefe dunkel.

Going to brew a very simple Summer Wheat this weekend with a dash of honey malt. The last brew I made was a Cream ale with some honey malt and oh man to I love this stuff. I'm slightly worried about this citra since the last couple of times it seems to add a musty flavor to the beer.

---Setup and stats---
5 Gallon BIAB
Mash Temp 152F
Est OG 1.047
IBU 15
SRM 4.8
Est FG 1.014
Est ABV 4.4%

---Grist---
3.75# White Wheat
3.5# 2-Row
.5# Honey Malt
.5# Flaked Oats
.5# Flaked White Wheat

---Hops---
1 oz Citra 12.8 % @ 15min

---Yeast---
Wb-06 @ 67F

I'm collecting RO to brew this weekend, though I haven't yet decided what to brew...

I've got a pouch of Belle Saison, so maybe a clone of Apex Predator or a HG super saison. I also have S-04 though I don't know what style that is best used for, maybe an IPA? And I have some WY1007 German Ale that I saved from a stout, I could stir up a starter and use that. I also have two packets of Lallemand Munich Classic, so I could brew another Dampfbier since the last one turned out really good with a few weeks of lagering. Or maybe take another shot at Hefeweizen, since I haven't yet brewed a decent one. Any other suggestions?

The wife hooked me up this year with a new Traeger for an early Father’s Day Gift. Going to christen it today with a brisket and rack of ribs
2C635F96-0B6D-42DD-AB89-334B89B1ED53.jpeg

Have two brews lined up but can't decide which to brew. One is a golden promise/mosaic smash, the other is a citra pale ale. Decisions decisions....

After doing an inventory about all I can brew this weekend is a kinda light stout; unless the husband wants to go play golf tomorrow, and I counter by saying (in my best wife voice) okay if you get to play golf I get to buy grain. Will still do a stout but it will be a heavy one if that works. Just need a bag of two row, some flaked oats, and some more chocolate malt, and exchange the propane. Bet a pint I get away with it, he loves stouts.

Setting up for brewing a Blonde Ale tomorrow. Getting ingredients weighed out tonight so I can hopefully have a quick start in the morning. Hopefully a uneventful brew day.

After doing an inventory about all I can brew this weekend is a kinda light stout; unless the husband wants to go play golf tomorrow, and I counter by saying (in my best wife voice) okay if you get to play golf I get to buy grain. Will still do a stout but it will be a heavy one if that works. Just need a bag of two row, some flaked oats, and some more chocolate malt, and exchange the propane. Bet a pint I get away with it, he loves stouts.
He's not gonna play golf but DID order himself a new practice net for the yard...so I still win. Going to place my order in the morning!

got a 10lb bag of mixed grains from AIH, just mashed in and looks like it will be a dark beer experiment.
not sure what i am going to do with it yet. I knew going into it this would be a work in progress and hoping some great/good beer will be the end product, fingers crossed.

Hello everyone. I made a small 15 Litre batch of Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. Since my primary fermenter is still occupied, I'm using a water bottle. Got efficiency of 75%. OG: 1.0611. Brewersfriend prediction: 1.062. Malts were home made except for DME & Chocolate malts.
Grain bill included Roasted barley, pale ale barley, caramel malt. Also added 500gm of brown sugar. Hops: EKG, 30 min edition of 2 oz. Smelled and tasted nice before putting in the fermenter.
IMG_0057.jpg
IMG_0059.jpg
IMG_0060.jpg
IMG_0061.jpg
IMG_0062.jpg

Making 4.2 gallons of Doppelbock to be fermented under 13psi that will become Eisbock. It will not be ready until 2021. OG=1.091 and shooting for FG=1.022 with a goal of 9.9% using WLP830. Required just shy of 21 pounds of grain. IBU and SRM both 25. Magnum and Hallertau Mittelfruh with IBU:OG=0.275 (only 1.14oz for bittering; 0.3oz for aroma). Should have dark fruit and raisin, chocolate, some toasty aroma and light caramel. A slight tweak to my previous Doppelbock -> Eisbock. Very dangerous as the ABV is hidden nicely without being cloying.

Brewed up another batch of WF lager this morning, same recipe as last time; pilsner, Munich, carapils, with Sterling for bittering and Hallertau Mittelfruh & Blanc for late additions. Last one was beyond tasty. Will be interesting to see how the Lallemand Diamond Lager yeast does on the second pitch; it started working about 20 minutes after coming out of the fridge so it's ready to rock & roll. Five hours post-pitch have positive pressure in the airlock, and a nice pretty thin foam starting to form. Pipeline is pretty full so this one can sit for a while.

Back