So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SNPA Clone with Imperial Loki yeast and using my Anova Sous Vide to pull double duty
20200111_154821.jpeg

I WAS going to brew a simple Citra IPA tomorrow, but this morning found the clone recipe for Georgetown's Bodhizafa on the LHBS website (Jon's Homebrew Supply in Puyallup) and changed my mind. I have all the hops, just needed the grain. That's milled and ready to go for an early start tomorrow that might also be a snowy day. Everyone in Western WA is freaking out over Snowpocalypse 2020; we'll probably just get a dusting like we always do.

Brewed an English bitter this evening. Got it in the fermentor and then dropped it down the stairs. Bounced all the way to the bottom, went through the door into the family room and exploded all over the carpet and walls. What didn't soak into the floor flooded through to the mechanical room and under the furnace.

Fcuk.

Holy crap!
Brewed an English bitter this evening. Got it in the fermentor and then dropped it down the stairs. Bounced all the way to the bottom, went through the door into the family room and exploded all over the carpet and walls. What didn't soak into the floor flooded through to the mechanical room and under the furnace.

Fcuk.

Fcuk.
Oh my God. Sorry...

Fcuk.

This is exactly why I want to get a small fermentation fridge to put in the brew room. I carry a full fermenter thru the house, down the basement stairs, and around to the fermenter fridge. WAY too much chance to trip, fall, spill, drop, etc.

I want to brew, chill, transfer, and put it in a fridge all right there. I’m not near as concerned once it is a keg.

Brewed a hoppy wheat yesterday. Also smoked 3 racks of ribs and 2 chickens, while trying to work on my kegermentor fridge. I was brewing on a new, much more powerful, burner.

Apparently the hot break was a bit stronger than I expected and I had my first boilover in this pot and lost about 1/2 gallon....oh well, beer will be fine, pot can be cleaned.

I'm brewing a witbier right now. 5 lbs of American pilsner malt and 4 (20 oz) loaves of white bread. The only color is from the bread crust, and it didn't contribute much. The wort looks like dishwater :) I haven't decided whether to use Cascade hops or Willamette, but probably Cascade because I have more of it.

God willing, I will be brewing tomorrow while my girls are all out running errands...a Simcoe/Cascade IPA. Can't wait...getting giddy...it's been a few weeks.

Tomorrow I’ll be brewing 10 gallons of 30% wheat IPA with Stata hops.
Then 5 gallons of the 10 gallon batch will get 3 lbs of freshly frozen chopped and smashed locally CA grown mandarins. Fingers crossed it will turn out at least ok. [emoji482]

Chinook IPA tonight. Might brew again tomorrow as I'm one tap down and no pipeline to speak of.

You know, I was flirting around with doing a Chinook IPA last time but chose to go with Simcoe and Cascade. Have you brewed it before?

I brewed the beer, and set the bucket outside to cool for a few hours before pitching the yeast. When I brought it in last night it was 45°. (oops) So I sprinkled the yeast on top anyway (T-58) and left it in the kitchen to warm. It was still pretty cold this morning (I didn't take its temp) but there might be the start of some yeast activity. Probably won't really know that until tonight or tomorrow morning.

I'm brewing a witbier right now. 5 lbs of American pilsner malt and 4 (20 oz) loaves of white bread. The only color is from the bread crust, and it didn't contribute much. The wort looks like dishwater :) I haven't decided whether to use Cascade hops or Willamette, but probably Cascade because I have more of it.

Cascade is better in the dishwasher.

Doing the Raging Red Irish ale, was supposed to be last weekend, but the OLHBS sent acidulated malt instead of the cara-aroma malt. Replaced without a problem, but arrived on Monday.

Rigged everything for the BIAB in an urn, crushed the malt and turned the urn on to heat to strike temp. Got to 33 degrees C and the residual current breaker tripped, reset it and no further temp rise. 3kW element popped, think I overstressed it last brew when I ran it dry to burn the residue off. So drained the mash water, sealed the crushed malt up and now waiting for a new element. :(:(:(

Of course, next weekend is a work thing. And the weekend after that, the power utility will probably run out of generating capacity and institute rolling blackouts again just to mess with me.

Husband got a nice raise, so he allowed his wife to do a little bit of shopping; gonna do an Irish Death clone tomorrow (at his request since it's "his" money). LHBS was out of Carafa II so subbed in roasted barley, and going to add some leftover flaked oats to add some mouthfeel and creaminess. Also don't have Magnum so going to sub in Northern Brewer, and pitch on a hoppy yeast cake to see what it does. Damn I love off the cuff brewing.

In the middle of the mash right now on a Timothy Tayor's Landlord Bitter. Nice way to relax and enjoy the end of the three day weekend!

John
One of my go to's is my TT Landlord, I use the same grain bill, but often switch around hop varieties. Last batch was with El Dorado in the copper and dry hopped with Waimea. Bloody delish!

planning to brew a milk stout on monday. Sunday will be getting my starter going. That will give me 2 weeks to figure out to either keg the stout or bottle it.

Back