So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's from this book, pg 150.
15764613638635574312771544060934.jpg

10.5 lbs pale ale malt
3 lbs Munich malt (10°L)
1 lb aromatic malt
0.5 lb Weyermann Carafa Special III
2 lbs Belgian Candi syrup (Dark2)(15minutes)
1.5 lbs cane sugar (15 minutes)

3.5 AAU Wye Challenger (60)
1.3 AAU Styrian Goldings (20)

Wyeast 3787 or WLP530

1 cup dextrose (if priming)

Step mash:
135° 15 mins
145° 35 mins
165° 25 mins
172° 5 mins

60 minute boil (6 gallons collected)

I was planning on going a little light on the dark syrup, or partially replacing with D45.

OG=1.100. FG=1.017. IBU=16. SRM=37. ABV=11%

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks! Yea I did the CSI Westy 12 clone using 2.5lbs D-180. Although the beer is only 6months old in the keezer the next batch I will likely drop the D-180 down to 2lbs.

Well, here's my holiday brew for Christmas, as I Brewed a Brickwarmer Holiday Red Ale Saturday. It's a 5G Extract w/steeping grains recipe from Northern Brewer. Unfortunately it won't be ready in time for drinking on Christmas Day. All well, I guess.

I'm kind of planning to brew a strong-for-style witbier. Strong, so if my efficiency is way off it will still be okay. (the grist will be 5 pounds of pilsner malt and 5 pounds of fresh bread to make 4 gallons; first time I've tried that)

I haven't decided whether to use T-58 yeast, or an unknown wheat beer yeast cultured from bottles of Schell's Hefe. The Schell's yeast is reasonably neutral but cloudy and kind of tart. That could work for a wit. But I have lots of packets of T-58, and it would be spicier and maybe attenuate less... Which do y'all think?

Brewed a Golden Ale today. Used Galaxy hops. 87% mash efficiency, 70% brew house efficiency. Spot On.

I brewed based on scheduled yeast delivery via US Mail. I cooled the wort, went to the mailbox to get the yeast, drained the kettle into the fermenter and pitched the yeast. Just In Time Logistics.

I’m brewing a Blonde Ale; waiting on the boil right now. Was going to brew a Scotch Ale but decided to do something a little simpler to keep the pipeline full. Experimenting with a 30 min mash and boil. The SGs so far have been in line with what I’ve gotten with this recipe and a 60 min mash.

Up early to finish going over the checklist for today's group brewday at a buddy's house. Had a horrible dream this morning that I was dumping out my spent grain, only to realize I hadn't sparged yet! Yep only a homebrewer's bad dream. His house is only about 10 minutes away so if I forget something it's not the end of the brewday, but I don't want any glitches today. Also it's raining like a b***h, gonna be a wet one as we'll be brewing outside. Can't wait to get going, still gonna brew Edwort's porter.

I’m brewing a Blonde Ale; waiting on the boil right now. Was going to brew a Scotch Ale but decided to do something a little simpler to keep the pipeline full. Experimenting with a 30 min mash and boil. The SGs so far have been in line with what I’ve gotten with this recipe and a 60 min mash.

The shorter mash and boil times sure make the brew day go by quickly. I was done and cleaned up in under 4 hours. Beersmith predicted .048; mine came in at .050. Depending on how this beer finishes I might do this more often, at least for certain styles.

The shorter mash and boil times sure make the brew day go by quickly. I was done and cleaned up in under 4 hours. Beersmith predicted .048; mine came in at .050. Depending on how this beer finishes I might do this more often, at least for certain styles.

I do Yoopers Haus w 30m boil but I've found I like the extra flavor 60m mash gives over 30m mash. Darker recipes like my altbier Alaskan Amber really benefits from 60m mash even more than pales and lighter styles.

I do Yoopers Haus w 30m boil but I've found I like the extra flavor 60m mash gives over 30m mash. Darker recipes like my altbier Alaskan Amber really benefits from 60m mash even more than pales and lighter styles.
Yeah, I wanted to try this on a simple, lighter beer. I brew quite a few darker and/or more complex grain bill beers and I wouldn’t expect the shorter mash to be a benefit with those recipes.

I finally got my hands on the White Labs WLP515 Antwerp Ale yeast, so we are in the middle of a mash out on a Belgian Pale Ale!

John

Might be my last brew of 2019, all done and in the chamber. Hit my fermentor volume with two bonus gravity points!
Meanwhile the imperial chocolate stout is still chugging along...

wcipa_1_23dec2019.jpg

Cheers!

I have brewing withdrawals and bad....
Been a few weeks since my last batch and need to brew ASAP.

All equipment is cleaned and ready to go.
Grains.. yep
Yeast... yep
Hops.. nope.

Waiting for Stata Hops to arrive in the mail. Monday is when they are supposed to arrive. There are no local Homebrew shops around that carry Strata hops.

Plan is to brew an ipa ish beer with 1/3 2-row, 1/3 pils, 1/3 white wheat + other stuff with Stata hops and local freshly frozen mandarins. Why? because I have never brewed anything like this before. Trial and error.

Not sure if I can wait till Monday and might have to brew another style recipe that does not have Strata hops.
My mind is set but just can’t execute the plan without those Strata hops....

[emoji482]

Christmas Day was an Intl Dark Lager using WLP860.
Tonight (Friday) is Light American Lager (SRM 2; IBU 10; ABV 3.6%) using WLP860
Sunday is a Helles Bock using WLP860 if I can propagate enough yeast a 3rd time, otherwise Monday or Tuesday

I have brewing withdrawals and bad....
Been a few weeks since my last batch and need to brew ASAP.

All equipment is cleaned and ready to go.
Grains.. yep
Yeast... yep
Hops.. nope.

Waiting for Stata Hops to arrive in the mail. Monday is when they are supposed to arrive. There are no local Homebrew shops around that carry Strata hops.

Plan is to brew an ipa ish beer with 1/3 2-row, 1/3 pils, 1/3 white wheat + other stuff with Stata hops and local freshly frozen mandarins. Why? because I have never brewed anything like this before. Trial and error.

Not sure if I can wait till Monday and might have to brew another style recipe that does not have Strata hops.
My mind is set but just can’t execute the plan without those Strata hops....

[emoji482]

Yakima Valley is now my go to for hops! Been buying them at the LHBS but they don’t carry the newer versions. I placed an order for 2lbs of hops and had them in like 3 days regular ground. Placed an order with NB the same time and took over a week to get.

Yakima Valley is now my go to for hops! Been buying them at the LHBS but they don’t carry the newer versions. I placed an order for 2lbs of hops and had them in like 3 days regular ground. Placed an order with NB the same time and took over a week to get.

Yep, they rock!
It was my bad since I placed the online order on Sat Dec. 21st. I guess people do need to take the weekends and holidays off. [emoji12]

Another batch of Old Fluffy - maple/bourbon/vanilla barleywine. Tried a new process for me this time: double mashing (as I can only fit ~16lb of grain in my mash tun). I split 20 lbs (16 golden promise, 3 Munich type 2, 1 crystal 45) into 2 x 10lb mashes. Overall efficiency was 69% and I hit an OG of 1.092... not too shabby IMO!

Following a comment from this thread from several years ago that the only difference between a Pilsner and a patersbier is the yeast strain, I brewed a pils on Christmas Eve and brewed the patersbier today.
I used the exact same grain bill & hopping schedule with the only difference being the yeast strain and obviously a fermentation temperature difference since one is a ale yeast and one is a lager yeast.
11 lbs pils malt
4 oz acid malt
4 oz melanoidin malt
1/4 oz magnum @ 60 min
1 oz tradition @ 30 min
1 oz tettnang @ 10 min
1 oz Saaz @ 0 min

Saflager 34/70 or Safale BE134 yeasts

I plan to lager both for a couple of weeks after fermentation before packaging.

Brewed a 5 gal batch of my "house" Porter. I plan to split ferment half with S-04 and half with WLP013.

In early 2019 I formulated a recipe for what I thought was everything I wanted in a Porter. It turned out okay, but not great. I did some research and used some inspiration from some recipes to build a new version. That brew turned out better, but I had some brew day issues. I made a few tweaks come up with the recipe I brewed today...but it ended up being almost exactly the Porter recipe in "Brewing Classic Styles".

20200102_115805 - Copy.jpg

Back