So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing a white IPA and a cherry/apple graf for the Mrs on Sunday. Both are experiments, so we'll see if either turn out to be drinkable or not.

Pondering on running out to the LHBS here in a while to replenish the base malt, only have about 9lbs left. And seriously thinking of trying my hand at a Bell's Two-hearted clone. I've got plenty of Centennial for it, and a lot of nothing-else-to-do today. Can keg up the Bastard clone today and just leave the keg in the house for a secondary kinda thing to free up space in the ferment fridge, and can also just pitch straight on the yeast cake after I take about half of it out for future brews. Ow that hurts! Somebody just twisted my arm....

I just broke into the world of legging, and my first batch is carbed up and ready to go, I have a feeling that it won’t last very long, as the samples that I’ve drawn off are delicious ( my west coast IPA recipe that I added wheat to to kind of make it “bicoastal “) so, I’m making a back up batch tomorrow...

IMG_1653.JPG

A simple International Pale Lager - 8 Briess pilsen, 2 flaked corn, hopped with Saaz, WLP840.

Just put the Bell's Two-hearted clone I did today to bed. Missed my FG by 3 points but don't care. Smelled and tasted great going into the fermenter, and now slowly going down to 62 from the 68 it chilled down to. All equipment clean and fan running to dry the floor, and off to get something to eat before taking a nap before work tonight. Great brewday.

Well thats right on target. I'm pretty sure there is no more activity. My best guess at the OG is between .055 and .061 (.061 is target) It's pretty hoppy and I'm pretty happy. :)
20190408_185833.jpeg

Last edited:
Planning this weekend to brew first my first lager since my return to homebrewing after 20 year "retirement." Going for a Pilsner - Grolsch clone idea. Trying to make something my wife will like. Going to try something new for me - Corny keg as fermentor since it will fit in the fridge I have.

Lager keg kicked last night, so since I had to keg my Mosaic Pils today anyway, decided to fill up that carboy with a WF lager. About 20 minutes left in the mash, already got the kegging done and carboy is soaking in the tub. Brewday is going well (knock wooden mash paddle)!

Triple IPA named “Day Ender” in honor of Mr. Shapland. Bravo/CO2 extract for bittering, comet/centennial/amarillo and cryo simcoe for flavoring/whirlpool/2 dry hop additions. 16 Lb golden promise and 1.5 Lb sugar for a 1.091 OG.
Everclear + CO2 extract works well...

IMG_0503.JPG
IMG_0505.JPG

Last edited:
Triple IPA named “Day Ender” in honor of Mr. Shapland. Bravo/CO2 extract for bittering, comet/centennial/amarillo and cryi simcoe for flavoring/whirlpool/2 dry hop additions. 16 Lb golden promise and 1.5 Lb sugar for a 1.091 OG.
Everclear + CO2 extract works well...

View attachment 621976View attachment 621977

Expand on that extract thing please?

Hard to see in this pic, but yeast are getting going in the WF lager I brewed this morning. OG wound up at 1.061, still smells awesome in the brewery, and homemade crystal malt currently in the oven
20190413_203200[1].jpg
is contributing some great smells as well.

my co2 tank is running low(going empty) welding shop is closed on sunday, planning a brew...probably going to have to drink moonshine (no vitamin's :()

but hoping to de culm, and brew sunday! (and if anyone's wondering what i'm listening too, it's 'shout at the devil')

Expand on that extract thing please?

Hello seatazzz, I picked up the tip here via Mr. Shapland’s Old School IPA discussion: https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/brew-files-episode-57-old-school-triple-ipa

1/4 cup everclear to 10mL of CO2 hop extract (probably too much everclear) led to a mostly soluble/suspension that dissolved well in the boil. I tried this b/c the last time I tried CO2 hop extract it turned into an ineffective mess that stuck to the side of my kettle and didn’t dissolve particularly well into the wort. Hope this helps!

Brewing two smash beers today. Moving the batch in the fermenter to a keg, and doing some serious cleaning. I hope.

I started a brown ale with pecans, I am new to the brewing world and wanted to try breaking out of my comfort zone. I boiled the nuts then roasted them dry, crushed the to blend with the mash. I’m hoping I got most of the oils out.

Looking to sneak in a stout before Easter dinner on Sunday. I've done all manner of stouts and porters over the years, but this will be a brand new recipe I've been tweaking for awhile. No adjuncts, flavors, etc, just a good old fashioned American stout.

Planning to brew another "hot" beer for a friend this weekend, who is contributing $$ to the cause (cause I need more bottles, grain, etc.). This one will be another amber, using my own home-caramelized crystal, and habanero peppers instead of jalapenos. Hoping for a sweeter, less-vegetal but still spicy flavor and aroma ale. Plenty in the home pipeline so can afford to brew for someone else. And will work on helping him with a kegging setup, he's got a tap on his fridge but needs a co2 tank and the hardware that goes along with it. I've got six corny kegs of my own, can afford to have one out "on loan" if it means I don't have to go through the hassle that is bottling.

Latest posts

Back