So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too much going on this weekend with working and football on Sunday, so slagged off work early and mashing in on the house favorite Crystal lager tonight. If things go right will be done by 9pm with cleanup and all. My last WF lager is going to be a dumper (34/70 does NOT like going past 3 generations we've learned after 2 failed batches) so need something to replace it. S-23 does better the more I use it so it's now my go-to WF lager yeast. At least until I taste this one in a week or two...

Brewed up my fifth batch of the Treehouse Julius clone and the neighbor's chickens are very please about it :)
I could do this brew in my sleep at this point, hit all my numbers easily....

View attachment 593773

Cheers!
How close is your clone? Which recipe do you use? Is it the one DrGMG has posted on this site? I am trying to find a solid clone I get it fairly often but for $9 a can and that's an expensive 4 pack - Thanks

well - going for it. Elderberry-Blackberry-chocolate gruit.

11lb Golden Promise
0.5 lb Flaked Barley
0.5 lb Caramunich II
.25 lb Chocoalte malt (350L)
0.1 lb Roasted Barley

0.5 oz Grains of Paradise @ 5
1.0 lb Freeze-dried elderberries (reconstituted for 24 hrs) @ flame out -w- 10 minute stand

WY1272 1.5 L starter

6 oz cocoa nibs secondary, 5 days
1.0 lb blackberry puree, 5 days

Been stumbling through this and finally decided it needed to happen

Sunday funday. The Bills are going to get curb stomped on MNF so Sunday is open...

Racked last week's brew to kegs to spund, a somewhat malty higher ABV all barely lager. Tastes good, still working some at 1.012.

Just mashed in sort of a pre prohibition lager, 10# pilsner, 2.5# each of 6 row, american munich, malted rye and flaked corn.

Brewing as I type...another Light Ale. This will make batch 6 of this style this year.

FWIW: Beers currently on deck:

Primary:
1816 - Light Pilsner
1817 - Cider
1818 - American Wheat
1819 - Cider
1820 - Light Ale #6

Secondary:
1805 - 4 Orchard’s Cider
1811 - Hard Lemon-Limeade

Kegged/Tapped:
1212 - Hard Lemonade
1718 - Festbier #1
1801 - Festbier #2
1807 - Light Ale #2
1810 - Light Ale #4
1812 - Light Ale #5
1814 - Mellow Mild
1815 - SNPA

"Hopping" to get another 5-6 batches in before the "Brew Year"...

Last edited:
Just got done with a 10gal batch of a SMDH (Single Malt Duel Hops) pale ale

25lbs Maris Otter
2oz EKG First Wort Hops
2oz EKG 60min
1.5oz Magnum 60min
3oz EKG 30min whirlpool @180

1469 West Yorkshire Ale

Brewed up my pumpkin ale. Brewed by request only, not something I care for much anymore, though it is pretty solid for the style. Got great efficiency at least.

Brewed my Bulldog Slobber on Sat. It’s an ESB with some rye thrown in for fun! This is becoming one of my standard beers on tap.

Brewed a roggenbier (American version). Mini malt: 3 lb Caramunich II, 2 lb rye malt, saccharification at 158 deg F, 8 lb liquid amber extract, 2 oz Cascade hops for 45 min. Yield 7 gal at 1.059 OG. White Labs English ale yeast for 4 gal, and recycled Gigayeast NorCal 0001 to 3 gal. Planning to add tinctures of juniper berries, coriander and fennel to taste with target of a "spiced winter ale" after fermentation complete.

Sitting here watching our first batch of Perry bubbling away. Really anxious to see how this turns out. We should rack over the weekend and do a batch of pumpkin cider, which is one of our favorites. We live on a rather small boat, so all our brewing tends to be in gallon batches of things that can be consumed fairly young. Will post recipes for these new ones when I see how this turns out.

Didn't brew my cherry blonde yet unfortunately like I wanted to. My last few brew days have been rushed during the week due to my work schedule, so I'm taking a few hours this upcoming weekend to be able to actually enjoy the brew day. Fingers crossed.

Making 2 gallons of mead this weekend! One Orange blossom honey that is going to be aged, and one is going to be cheap costco stuff I'm hoping to turnaround in about a month through near perfect fermentation.

Pale ale with Galena for bittering then Azacca, Ekuanot, and Mandarina Bavaria with WLP041.

Planning to brew my 2018 Winter Warmer on Sunday. Working at my friend's brewery tomorrow, early start at 4am so can be done in time to hit up the LHBS to get the grain I need. Recipe is simple; 12.5lbs two row (have that), 2lbs Cara 80 or 120, 1lb special roast, and 1/2lb roasted barley. Going to try for higher volume so I can reduce 2 gallons down for more maltiness, and add 1lb dark brown sugar at 15 minutes as well. It's the spice that's going to make this one; 2 vanilla beans (chopped), 1tsp cloves, 1/2tsp allspice, and 2 grated cinnamon sticks at 15 minutes to end of boil, and the same again stuffed into a bottle with Captain Morgan's for a week or so and added to the fermenter after that. Might turn into a spice bomb but it sounds good and looks good. Not aiming for huge ABV but if I get it...more's the better! Planning on doing two batches, one this weekend and one next, first will get bottled for giveaways & maybe save a few bottles for competitions, second will be kegged. Looking forward to this one.

Hoping to brew my first all grain this weekend it will be a stout.

One of my first all grain beers was a stout. I use Nestle Pure Life water which is relatively soft. I think for that reason my efficiency was quite poor. On the plus side though, that was one of the clearest beers I’ve made. It was a nice dark ruby color when you held it up to the light.

Simcoe Pils
20181102_162407.jpeg
20181102_190942.jpeg

Worked at the brewery today, brewing up the boss' porter. Wound up with a bit too much in the tun, so I brought home 10 gallons of wort to play with. Just popped it in the ferment fridge, it's going to be a Session black lager because that's the yeast I had. SG at 1.050 so will wind up about 4-4.5% but I'm okay with that. If it turns out well will do a 1bbl batch of it next month and it will be my first recipe that will be on tap there. Recipe is two row, crystal 40, chocolate, and some roasted barley. I added my own twist with the hops; only had 2oz of Cascade left so made up with some Chinook at both bittering and flameout. Going for the flavor of a Cascadian Dark Ale but fermented on S-23 yeast. Should be interesting to say the least.

Decided to brew today. Low oxygen Rye IPA with brown marmonated stick bug.

Currently mashing a very stressful grain bill. Decided to give some rye a try and it's trying it's best to get stuck. Was recirculating at 2 GPM and now we're down to 0.7 GPM. Just need it to hang on a little while longer so i can lauter it. If it drops any more and i'm gonna have to stir it.... ugh.

I'm making a fuggle pale ale:

9.75 pounds Double Eagle Rustic Ale malt
0.25 pounds honey malt
All fuggle hops (just shy of 50 IBUs)
Appropriate sized starter built up from an expired package of Imperial Yeast "Joystick" (the Pacman strain)

Low oxygen rye IPA.

80/16.7/3.3 2-row, malted rye, and c20.

OG 14.7 Plato. Expected FG <2 Plato.

Kettle IBU to the saturation point. 22oz high alpha hops split between 50/15/10/5 and a long soak at 160-170F.

IMG_1645.jpg

IMG_1648.jpg

I brewed an out of style cream ale today, should come in around 6.5% abv 30 ibus. Two row, flaked maize, and table sugar. Hops were Columbus and Hallertau. Cream ale yeast blend. Plan on fermenting at 60 for a few days then ramping up to the low 70’s.

Latest posts

Back