So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to switch fermentor over to 34/70 from K-97 tomorrow after a 4 batch run. Never used that one before, makes a beer w "personality", which I think I like, most of the time, but going for cleaner tasting fare for the foreseeable future, 'cause it is lager time.

34/70 does a good job the adjuncted lagers I like to run when temps have not got down to pilsner level. Have fermetor temp control, but is not the most robust, so I go tend to along with cellar temp.

Anyway, I usually sort of wing it, will be like this, depending stock rotation of grain and what is open;

10 gal batch.

10# pilsner malt
5# two row, probably MO or Golden Promise.
2-3# rye malt,
1-2 flaked corn.

FW, 1 oz N brewer
30 min boil, 1 oz something semi neutral or noble
post whirlpool hop step at approx 160F, .25 home grown leaf cascade.

dry pitch 34/70 and set temp to around 57F.

I'm working a [strong] Trappist-style dubbel today. Unfortunately my yeast starter looks DOA (Wyeast 1214).

So my starter did work.

Super fresh smack pak, after smacked did not swell notice after 5 hours, did a 1L starter. Took 24 hours after pitching into beer before any signs of life. Then it went from nothing to an inch of krausen in like two hours.

Talk about stressful.

Brewing a pale ale today using homegrown Cascade and CTZ hops.

IMG_3435.jpeg

Ot snowed six inches last night, the fog was so thick I couldn’t see 200 feet in front of the truck, so I hauled one load of wheat to town, made it back to the farm, and said “this looks like a good day to stay inside and brew”.

HB APA while brewing a Blonde/APA hybrid.
819FF4AD-4207-4222-8279-BEA8BE446C08.jpeg

After the successful lager on 'mystery' yeast experiment, decided it was time to use the Imperial Stefon slurry that's been in the fridge since September and brew up a wit. Restocked two-row yesterday, had pilsner, and added some Munich because everything is better with Munich IMHO. No orange or coriander in this one, I want to see if I can make the yeast go bananas, literally. Will underpitch a bit and ferment a bit warmer, thinking about 68-70°.

Last Sunday I brewed a Cascade/Columbus IPA, 1.074 OG. I used 2 packs of Nottingham for 10 gallons, because that's what I have. And it's my favorite ale yeast for low temp fermentation.
I set the temp control for 63F, pitched the yeast and left town for 6 days. Today I checked, there's none of the usual krsausen in the blowoff bucket, and since it's a stainless conical, I can't see if there's krausen inside. I figured the fermentation never got started, but the hydrometer showed 1.014 and the sample tastes like a decent IPA. In the morning I'll rack to the kegs, dryhopping one with 3 ozs of Columbus, the other with 3 ozs of Cascade.

Today: GF Vienna Lager
Biscuit Rice
Vienna Millet
Munich Millet
Pitch Black Rice

Saaz & Magnum
W-34/70 @ 55°

Tomorrow: GF IPL
4L Rice
Pale Oat Malt
Caramillet
Dextrose

Strata, Citra, Amarillo & Columbus
S-23 @ 55°

Last edited:
Brewing Bongo Yodelers version of Mad Kings Honeymoon Porter. Thanks for the recipe and inspiration, plan to rack half the batch with Apex pecan flavoring.
Excellent. Please update when it's done and you've had a chance to try it. All thanks should go to @TheMadKing for this one, it's a great recipe.

Pitched the yeast yesterday: went with nottingham instead.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231201-111738.png
    Screenshot_20231201-111738.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 0
Jonesing to brew. Using leftovers for an amber :

5.75 lb 2-row
.5 lb Carapils
.25 lb Crystal 60
.14 lb Roasted barley
1 oz Williamette @ 60
.5 ox Styrian Goldings @ 30
Pitching Diamond Lager yeast @ 60

Only things I'm on the fence about is the Styrian Goldings. 1 oz packet was given to me, have never brewed with SG before.

I'm going a Galaxy, Citra, Amarillo NEIPA on Saturday.

8 lbs pilsner, 1 lb golden promise, 1 lb white wheat, 1 lb rolled oats

I had been planning to keg up my Doppelbock to free the fermenter for my double hazy but I've got two ill kids so doubt I'll get chance to brew today now.

I've got the bits for a double west coast IPA coming in the week (75 IBU worth of Amarillo/Centennial/Mosaic Cryo) so maybe I'll do that next week instead and save the tropical juice machine for another day.

I was planning to brew another amber, but my hops didn't arrive in time. So, I'll be brewing a gluten free NEIPA with galaxy, amarillo, and columbus today.

- Edit, gonna brew the amber but sub out the hops instead.

Last edited:
I brewed a citra galaxy amarillo NEIPA yesterday. It was my first time using the Jaded Scylla wort chiller, it got the wort down to 170 for my whirlpool by the time I got from the water spigot back to my kettle…I had to quickly turn around to turn off the water. It got me down to pitch temp (95F Voss kveik) in around 2-3 minutes.

I'm getting a late start, but I'm grinding the malt now for a strong ale. (had stop and give my arms a rest because I'm a wuss) I should have it on the stove in a half hour. Some of the weights are a little odd because I'm using up the last of some bags of malt. For 4 gallons of beer:

8.2 pounds American pilsner malt
2 pounds dark (20L) American Munich malt
3.8 oz Crystal 40 malt
1 pint homemade dark invert syrup (late addition)

1 oz Columbus (30 minutes)
1 oz Willamette (10 minutes)

Lallemand Koln yeast (starter)

It should end up about 7.8% ABV and a little under 60 IBU. The pint of syrup contains 1 pound of sugar. The Munich malt might actually be aromatic malt; I'm not sure. It's from a local maltster and they didn't put in in a category, it's 20°L, smells *very* malty, and still has some enzyme activity but pretty weak (enough to almost convert itself.) I've never used this much of it in a recipe before.

Last edited:
Just put down a Bohemian Pils and I have 5 gal of Mead fermenting away. There's a gallon of Jun almost ready!

Attachments

• 6ADF49C0-81B5-4193-B9D6-BBCB508F1F3C_1_105_c.jpeg
    6ADF49C0-81B5-4193-B9D6-BBCB508F1F3C_1_105_c.jpeg
    264 KB · Views: 0
I brewed a citra galaxy amarillo NEIPA yesterday. It was my first time using the Jaded Scylla wort chiller, it got the wort down to 170 for my whirlpool by the time I got from the water spigot back to my kettle…I had to quickly turn around to turn off the water. It got me down to pitch temp (95F Voss kveik) in around 2-3 minutes.
Wort chiller copper or stainless? (or other)

I added one of these, on the end of my hose where it attaches to my Jaded Hydra for that very reason.

Copper. Take a look, they are essentially 3 x 25 foot coolers in one. Wort Chillers
I added one of these, on the end of my hose where it attaches to my Jaded Hydra for that very reason.
Yup, a valve immediately came to my mind when I had this issue. I am going to get one of the lever-style ball valves to make it easier to turn on and off. I am going to leave the valve attached to the Jaded cooler, and then connect the hose to the valve on brew day. I also need to order appropriately sized hoses. I was stuck using 20-30 foot garden hoses.

I realized that there may be some heat transfer going on, being you have super hot water flowing in the outgoing pipe which is sandwiched against the incoming pipe, potentially heating up the incoming cold water. I put a piece of silicone tube in between for now, I am trying to think of something more effective. I emailed JaDed for their thoughts, but I didn't get a response. Not sure if they didnt take this into consideration, or if they did their testing and just found that the difference is negligible and wasn't worth it.
IMG_0468.jpg

I realized that there may be some heat transfer going on, being you have super hot water flowing in the outgoing pipe which is sandwiched against the incoming pipe, potentially heating up the incoming cold water. I put a piece of silicone tube in between for now, I am trying to think of something more effective. I emailed JaDed for their thoughts, but I didn't get a response. Not sure if they didnt take this into consideration, or if they did their testing and just found that the difference is negligible and wasn't worth it.
View attachment 836549
Flow rate is way too high for that to matter except for the first couple of milliliters when resuming after a stop and even then most of that would come from conduction and convection up the three pipes on the cold side.

Nothing brewing this weekend, Schwarzbier next weekend. But lots of brewing related stuff on tap for the weekend. Need to keg and quick carb a Grisette and then keg a Pink Guava mead. Then need to bottle some of my Bock, the mead and Grisette for upcoming 2024 comps. Then start cold crashing a Rauchbier and taste test a Pilsner to make sure it's carbonated enough to be ready for our housefull on Christmas Eve.

Gonna brew a Daisy Cutter clone on Sunday since it'll finally be over 40 degrees. Wondering if I should get ambitious and try my first double brew day cause who knows when it'll ever be warm enough again.

Guy I brew with wants to do one of my beers - Cali-style schwarz - on his new rig.
Not feeling it, but heading out to get started.

I brewed up something hoppy yesterday with Strata, Idaho Gem, and Mandarina Bavaria. Using Belle Saison and S-33...we'll see how it goes.

Finished mash pot cleaning this morning.

Just put my first NEIPA in the ferm bucket. Not an IPA fan, but got a good deal on a 3 IPA pack. Kegged a Swig of Sunbeams IPA while brewing the NEIPA. That Swig was awesome even uncarbed and not cleaned up yet.

Brewed an IPA using Verdant for first time yesterday. My to go Juice yeast got infected after many brews.
Zeus, Comet 60
Cascade 20
Amarillo 5
Zappa whirlpool
Fermenting nicely today.

5 gallon amber extract with my SVBS sans the mash basket. 1st ever full volume boil. Enjoyed use of the knock out pump for transferring the wort to the fermenter etc. Loving the new system upgrade from my stove top kettle.

Latest posts

Back