So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S04 apparently likes cold temps more than it's specs indicate.

Attachments

• 20221009_094508.jpg
    20221009_094508.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221009_094440.jpg
    20221009_094440.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Having trouble with keeping the gap on my Monster Mill 3. Ran the grains through twice this morning. Brewed an IPA and came out 4 points low on OG. Going to tear the mill apart this week. If I can’t find a solution, then going to call More Beer to see if they have any ideas. I’ve had the mill for about 6 years.

Any of you on HBT experienced this, suggestions?

Friday's a weekend day, right? Actually, every day is the weekend when you're retired...
Anyway, today we're brewing an American Amber Ale tentatively titled Amberspice Ale with 7 lbs of pale 2-row base, a pound each of aromatic, biscuit and Special B malts for character, half-pound of white wheat for head, an ounce of Northern Brewer for bitter, and cinnamon and allspice for the holidays coming up. I'm hoping a packet of WLP001 will ferment clean enough to let the malts and spices shine thru.

ETA: after the aroma this batch threw during the last 15 minutes of the boil, we might actually call it Cinnamon Toast Ale.

Last edited:
I just brewed the "Whitehouse Honey Ale" kit from Craft A Brew. It was delivered right to my doorstep off of Amazon. so why not brew it today? LOL
Here's a blurb from Amazon:
  • PRESIDENTIAL ALE – Fit for discerning beer drinkers and diplomats alike! This White House Honey Ale features a golden color and a hoppy aroma and comes straight from President Obama’s coveted presidential beer recipe.
It's a special occasion beer to crack open while watching the mid-term election results in November. Good times!

I tried brewing last weekend... got burned by a defective grain bag (had about a 4mm gap in it). As an extract brewer, I'm not sure what to go with for a supplier. NB seems to struggle with fulfilling orders. I feel they need to do a better job of communicating this to prospective brewers... it appears you can no longer call them, there's no way to use their "chat" since they're offline, and email appears to be the only way to go.
I'm at the mercy of trying Amazon with Brewer's Best kits (got burned on the latest kit), and MoreBeer appears to be the best solution in my future as of this point.

School is on fall break so I've brewed this weekend and will continue brewing all next week. On the agenda:
  • NEIPA (Harlequin and BRU-1), 2.5 gallons (brewed yesterday)
  • Fennel Pollen Stout, 2.5 gallons
  • American Spiced Wheat (cinnamon and orange peel), 1.25 gallons
  • Mango APA (Citra), 1.25 gallons
  • Spruce Ale, 1.25 gallons
  • Blonde Ale (Harlequin), 1.25 gallons

I tried brewing last weekend... got burned by a defective grain bag (had about a 4mm gap in it). As an extract brewer, I'm not sure what to go with for a supplier. NB seems to struggle with fulfilling orders. I feel they need to do a better job of communicating this to prospective brewers... it appears you can no longer call them, there's no way to use their "chat" since they're offline, and email appears to be the only way to go.
I'm at the mercy of trying Amazon with Brewer's Best kits (got burned on the latest kit), and MoreBeer appears to be the best solution in my future as of this point.
For what it’s worth I use morebeer for about 99% of my equipment purchases. They have been nothing but a joy to do business with. One negative thing I will say about them is that if I ever see a shipment coming from their PA warehouse I’ll avoid hitting order, long time to ship out and once it got here it looked like the box inside of the big box went through Ukraine in a Russian tank. But all that aside they have been amazing to deal with and make everything right.

For what it’s worth I use morebeer for about 99% of my equipment purchases. They have been nothing but a joy to do business with. One negative thing I will say about them is that if I ever see a shipment coming from their PA warehouse I’ll avoid hitting order, long time to ship out and once it got here it looked like the box inside of the big box went through Ukraine in a Russian tank. But all that aside they have been amazing to deal with and make everything right.
MoreBeer has been pretty good for me, too. There’s also RiteBrew, which is sometimes rather cheaper, and my experience with them has been good, too.

Morebeer is great. Much better prices than the other big 2 that got bought out a few years ago. Easy to contact and very good about correcting any mistakes, which are few, but do happen.

Having some fun this weekend with what is essentially a hoppy SMASH with enigma. Going to be using some amyloglucosidase, mash hopping with halleratu, and using OYL-403 lunar crush. I'm hoping it comes out quite dry and wineish. Not sure whether I really want to use the amyloglucosidase just yet, especially considering I'm already using a decently attenuative yeast and mashing low. That will probably be a game time decision.

Heading to the LHBS later to restock base malts; tomorrow will probably brew up a batch of modified Bodhizafa clone. Got 2lb of Citra from YVH this week, also a 20ml thing of Mosaic Incognito™; going to give it a try, heard good things about it.

Brewed a Foreign Export Stout today. Yet another brew day that didn't go as planned. I was getting ready to try my conical for the first time and couldn't locate one of the TC gaskets. The Mrs. (thankfully) found the gasket, so I ended up placing the wort in a brew bucket, set in the fermentation chamber overnight and I will transfer to the conical in the morning. I'm just itching to use it.

Got a SNS starter going last night. Woke up to it rip roaring ready to go.

View attachment 784306

Brewing up an easy peasy bitter. English PA malt, 10% wheat, 10% demerara. Fuggle & Cluster in the boil. WLP-037. 1.044/35IBU
My stir plate did the same thing when I woke up this morning lmao! I guess the omega pack was viable!

Back