Smooth Stout Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boek

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew a stout that my wife will enjoy. It would need to be super smooth and creamy, a lot like chocolate milk. I just bought some Sierra Nevada Stout. I loved it but it was both too smokey and too hoppy for my wife. Also, I'd rather not have too many ingredients or have it be too complicated. I'm new to all grain. Thanks.

What kind of commercial stouts does she like? I have a friend who liked Young's Double Chocolate Stout, so made a beer similar to that.

If she likes a certain stout that we know, we can help point you to a recipe.

Something I really like is a Munich based stout. It's not dry enough to be a dry stout or sweet enough to be a cream stout. It's malty and roasted. I tend to complicate them. It could be as simple as a Munich malt base with 10% Roasted barley and a single sixty minute hop addition. My last one was not too far off from that but has two different color roasted barleys for complexity along with some wheat and caramel pils to insure a nice lingering head.
http://hopville.com/recipe/1106836/foreign-extra-stout-recipes/munich-stout-2012-01-22

Back