Smack Pack fail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbsmith

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So last night I brewed a Belgian Wit, and when it was time to pitch the Wyeast 3944, I realized after opening that the smack pack inside had barely been punctured. It was a hole small enough to let out the air to make me think it burst, but not big enough to let most of the yeast nutrient out (which explained the half-ass bag inflation). I went ahead and pitched yeast and poured in the remaining yeast nutrient into the wort and stirred it around vigorously. I woke up today to find a little bit of airlock activity and about an inch or so of krausen. Should I just let this thing play out and repitch if I'm not hitting my FG, or should I just go ahead and buy another smack pack and repitch?

EDIT: Also, the smack pack was about 2 months past expiration, but the brew store had it stored in a refrigerator, so I wasn't worried at the time when I bought it.

I wouldn't worry about re-pitching. It will ferment out, probably just take a little longer than normal to start and finish. But, IMO another good example of why making a starter is a good idea.

Smack packs are supposed to be refrigerated, it's live yeast, past its expiry date you can expect a lower number of viable cells, which can mean you're underpitching even moreso than just pitching the pack. If you see smack packs out at room temp, I'd seriously reconsider patronizing that LHBS.

Making starters is one of the ways you can have a very noticeable effect on your finished product without too much effort.

From the horse's mouth.

From the Wyeast FAQ website:

3. Does the package need to be fully swollen before pitching?

No, The package can be pitched before activating, or at anytime during the activation process. The activation process "jump starts" the culture's metabolism, minimizing the lag phase.

Smacking though fun, is never really necessary.

You'll be fine. But next time make a starter, that way no matter what the situation, whether you have an "expired" pack (Though many of us buy up to year old expired yeast and use it with starters with NO problems) or you don't have an expanded pack, you know you have viability, and plenty of yeast to do the job. Mostly though, you'll have peace of mind. Because if your starter is successful, your beer will be as well.

Ah you guys were right about not worrying. I got home today from work and walked through the door to hear a strange whistling type noise...it was my airlock pushing out air and my fermentor lid about to blow off! I guess I've just never done the starter thing because of a mix of fear of contamination and laziness. I am kind of a worry wort though, so I guess that from now on I will use a starter.

Back