Slow drain help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeepGuy

Reaction score
I've got a slow drain in a shower/bathtub at home and drano isn't doing anything to speed it up. What product do you use to get a slow drain running smooth? I've been thinking of trying the drano foaming stuff because it's slow, not clogged. I'm afraid the drano is just running through without clearing anything up. What's the strongest stuff I can get my hands on? Any thoughts?

The foams and gels are good stuff. SWMBO with her long hair clogs a shower drain at least twice a year. Make sure your products are septic safe if you use one;)

A plumbing snake is fairly cheap and easy to use on a tub drain. I couldn't live without mine!
It is also easy, if you have unfinished basemant under your bath, to remove a couple of inches from one of the pipes and make yourself a clean out. You can replace the inches removed with a rubber coupling that has a tightening clamp on either end.

+1 for the snake.

Also, the chemicals can be bad. If you have very old plumbing, they can acually cause leaks.

One more thing to check (though not likely) is your vent pipe on the roof. If it's clogged say with a birds nest or something, that will cause a slow drain. Sometimes this is accumpanied by the drain going gulp, gulp, and sucking air with the water. This is easily checked from your roof, but probably isn't your problem.

Ask 'The Bird' ...isn't that him on 'This Old House'? LOL

+1 for the snake. Go to wally world (walmart) and pick one up for 13 bones. They are easy and work like a charm. my only advice for you when using one is to get some rubber gloves. I hate the idea of what kind of crap i am picking off of the drain snake enough to not want to touch it with bare skin.

I know, i need to butch up.

Get a plunger and plunge away. Lots of times, if you can get the clog to move, it will go on down. If not, I'd also go for the sewer tape.

My Dad used to say," Playing house is fun.". I still don't get it.

sudsmonkey said:
Get a plunger and plunge away. Lots of times, if you can get the clog to move, it will go on down. If not, I'd also go for the sewer tape.

My Dad used to say," Playing house is fun.". I still don't get it.

HAHA yeah thats what I do.

the snake, followed up by the twelve gage, at close range.

if you do the snake, put something over your eyes, like glasses, and keep yer mouth closed. sometimes the snake flings back some nasty ****. :confused:

sudsmonkey said:
Get a plunger and plunge away. Lots of times, if you can get the clog to move, it will go on down.

Honestly, a simple plunger works better than any damn chemical. Sometimes it takes awhile, but it always gets the job done for me. Plungers used to be ubiquitous, but don't seem to occur to people anymore. Perhaps because they aren't advertised on TV the way drain cleaners are!

And holy smokes, that is some effective advertising! These companies convince people to buy their very expensive products...which are then promptly poured down the drain! If you read the labels, they even suggest regular "maintenance" doses, to prevent clogs. I'd like to get in on some of that money.

+1 on the plunger - I just had to do that to my shower drain this morning, and it always works like a charm.

Back