Danby Kegerator Door Insulation Replacement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobo1898

Instagram | @bierdedbrewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a Danby fridge that was converted to a kegerator. While it was a DIY project, I got it second hand. It's treated me very well with the time I've had it. However, you can see in one of the attached images, that the insulation of the door has fallen apart.

I was planning on tearing it all out and replacing this with a 1.5" thick insulated board (also pictured). I figured I can use clear silicone caulk to adhere the board to the door. Then, because the door isn't entirely flat, use foam spray to fill in the gap(s) behind the board where necessary. I would cover all this up with a sheet or two of Reflectix.

I imagine this would get the job done, but are there any other suggestions that may be better in the long run?

Attachments

• IMG_7350.jpg
    IMG_7350.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7351.jpg
    IMG_7351.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7352.jpg
    IMG_7352.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Go down to home improvement store and look for plastic or fiberglass sheets.

Are you suggesting to use this instead of Reflectix to place over the foam board/spray foam? Or to stack these in the door in place of everything I mentioned?

And to be clear, you're talking about the wall boards and not the pink fiberglass sheets?

Judging from the pictures I was thinking you wanted to insulate the door. You already have the pink insulation board that could be cut to fit inside the door shell.

The FRP sheet material would Be cut to fit and placed on top of the pink insulation board. All sandwiched together. If you glue them together make sure you get the right glue. Some will actually melt that insulation.

So, I guess, yes, don't use that Reflextix, use the FRO or something similar. I've seen a plastic type material much the same as the fiberglass, used basically the same way.

Yup, that's the stuff. When you stop by Menards or where ever you buy it, ask if they have any damaged pieces. A 4x8 sheet is more than you need, but you might find other used for the left overs. I have used that fir a variety of things around the house and garage . Made some fancy fender skirts for a custom car I built back in my previous life.

Not sure on the silicone; check the insulation board manufacturer website or maybe try a dab on a piece.

On the fiberglass sheets there's a pebble gloss dude and the back is rough. You could paint the rough side if you wanted. The other side too but you're going to sand it down some.

Good luck, and happy to help!

Back