Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rfox2014

Reaction score
Hey ya’ll, within the last couple hours a thin white head has formed which doesn’t appear bubbly or web-like. Does anyone have experience on what beginning phases of a lager fermentation looks like?

This is my first lager brew (i’ve done many ales) and only my second brew in this clear fermzilla (previously used speidel). It’s a Mexican lager with 2-row and flaked corn and pitched a single OLY-113 mexican lager yeast pack 48 hours ago. I let it splash into the fermenter then shook the heck out of it. Pitched at 58, dropped to 50, and current at 53. I have spunding set at 1-2psi. Batch size is 7 gallons, OG around 1.050, (I know, I regret not buying two packs of yeast - didn’t have time for a starter on this one either). pH was around 5.5, possibly a bit lower.

Thanks,
Bobby

Attachments

• IMG_3495.jpeg
    IMG_3495.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3494.jpeg
    IMG_3494.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3490.jpeg
    IMG_3490.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Looks OK to me. It is pretty common to get a slower start with cold fermented lager. You probably could have used a second pack of yeast, but it will probably turn out just fine.

Looks OK to me. It is pretty common to get a slower start with cold fermented lager. You probably could have used a second pack of yeast, but it will probably turn out just fine.
Since this post, it’s already started gassing off the spunding and looks healthier. I guess 48 hours of lag time isn’t unheard of but note to self is to over-pitch these.

Since this post, it’s already started gassing off the spunding and looks healthier. I guess 48 hours of lag time isn’t unheard of but note to self is to over-pitch these.

Yes , you definitely want to do starters when using liquid yeast and oxygenate the wort . Especially with lagers

Dry lager yeasts like S-189 or w-34/70 are more forgiving than liquid packs. The liquid packs are perishable, and any slow link in supply chain chain could have seen them compromised, even if seller has best intentions..

I run many batches off of one pitch, and always oxygenate the new wort as it comes in fermentor on the yeast cake. The only time I don't have to deploy the 02 injector is when I'm pitching fresh packet(s) of fermentis yeast, as they add extra nutrients or something. Just sprinkle on top of cooled wort in fermentor , and it is always good to go.

Latest posts

Back