Side shoots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep them. Hops grow on the sidearms. They're a lighter color green because it's new growth. If the sidearms start to tangle you may need to trim them but other than that just let them grow. Hopefully you'll see some flowers soon!

I would not trim any growth on new hops, let them get established. the more green the more roots, then after a few years watch out they will overtake what ever they can.

I mostly agree with @OleBrewing but I pruned down to 4 bines per plant and I pruned the leaves off the bottom of the bines when they got about 4' tall. I didn't prune much away, just enough that I had a clear view of what was going on down by the crown. I pruned slightly further up when some reached about 6'. I want the base to be well ventilated to discourage mold.

Thanks all. I'll leave them alone. I pruned back the early bines - only keeping 1 or 2 per rhizome, but these new growths surprised me...I was thinking the cones formed on the main bine. Glad I didn't just go ahead and lop them all off!

Latest posts

Back