Should I use a blow off??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irisndfan2

Reaction score
Currently Brewing a Nugget Nectar Clone. the OG is supposed to be around 1.075, I am using WLP001 cali ale yeast. Never made a beer with this high alc content.

WOuld it be wise to use a Blowoff on my fermenting bucket, or will I be fine with the airlock?

IMO I would use a blow-off hose for that. I started using a blow-off hose for the first week of every beer in primary just to be safe... once you clean the ceiling ONCE that is enough lol

I use a blow off for the first week on all my brews. In my experience the OG doesn't matter. Its always hit or miss with how messy the fermentation can be. Better safe than sorry.

Without even reading the post, my answer would have been "yes". But that's my personal answer; yours may vary.

I'm a total n00b, but after only my first four batches I had decided I just couldn't told with any accuracy which batches were going to need one and which weren't. So I started using one with all of them for the first few days, and then replacing with an airlock -- I figure worst case scenario is I sanitized one extra piece of equipment for no good reason, right?

Of course you may find you never get blowoffs (many people don't) and so it might not be worth it for you. You could try one on this batch to be safe, or you could not and just keep an eye on it.

yes... cleaned the ceiling once.. almost had a giant bottle bomb another time (airlock plugged and didn't pop out of stopper).. I use a blow off every single brew now for the first 3-4 days just to let it settle into a steady ferment. this was my last brew.. Belgian Dubbel using white labs abbey ale yeast (wlp530). Blew off like this for over 10 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back