Should I Repitch WLP002?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaneritz

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a question…I made a winter ale on Feb. 15, and put it in the fermentor at 67 degrees, and I saw about 3 days of action after about 24 hrs. My OG was 1.055 and my target FG is about 1.019 ish. I didn't see any action after those 3 days, and so I measured on Feb. 25 and it was 1.032?! So I tried to warm it up and rouse the yeast first by shaking it a bit and then by using the other end of my mash paddle (sterilized) and gently moving the yeast cake around and after 24 hrs, the airlock is moving very slowly, like bubbling every 15 seconds, and I was wondering if I should wait another week and check my FG, or try to repitch some more yeast. Next time I think I might try to make a starter to see if that works better. Any advice would be great! Thanks!!!

Warm it to 70*F and wait now that you've roused it. I sincerely hope that your mash paddle is metal or plastic. Wood is darn near impossible to sanitize well, especially if it's been used with grains.

Definitely make a starter next time. One vial, even a fresh one, into a 1.055 ale is a significant underpitch. One of the potential issues from doing that is under-attenuation.

I tend to overpitch 002 just a bit to help aid in complete fermentation. The Fullers strain is wonderful but hou have to treat it right to get what you want.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

Thanks for the help. My mash paddle is plastic, so no worry about keeping it sanitized. I think I might just repitch another vial for this beer. I haven't had trouble hitting targets with my past ale batches. But this one seems to have given up on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the help. My mash paddle is plastic, so no worry about keeping it sanitized. I think I might just repitch another vial for this beer. I haven't had trouble hitting targets with my past ale batches. But this one seems to have given up on me.

Tossing another vial in there at this stage would be a 100% waste of a vial. For late pitching of yeast to help finish a batch, you'll need to make a small starter and pitch it at high krausen.

Just to eliminate a potential issue - are you getting that 1.032 reading with a hydrometer (OK) or a refractometer (not OK)?

Thanks I use a hydrometer after pitching the yeast. I haven't made a starter before , I will go grab another vial and give it a shot. Thanks

Be aware that, after you warm up and rouse the yeast, you ought to give it another full week before getting another reading or taking any sort of action.

Latest posts

Back