should i rack to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Gamble

Reaction score
I'm doing a chocolate raspberry stout which is in the fermenter now. And, the instructions from me beer say to ferment for 3 weeks. But I want to dry hop and add some chocolate nibs to the mix. So, I want to know if I should move this to a secondary fermenter then add the hops and nibs or just add them to the primary and let it continue to ferment?
I should add that I modified the mr beer recipe be adding grains from my locale home brew store.

Almost everyone here will advise against transferring to a secondary vessel. If you can add the dry hops and nibs to your primary, that will be the best bet. Less chance of infection and much less chance of oxygen issues. I've never tranfered to a secondary.

I haven't used nibs yet, but I'd do a little searching around here to find the best practice for adding them. I believe some make a tincture with vodka a few days to a week before they want to add it. But again, read up on that.

I toss nibs directly into the fermenter, never had any issues. They'll float initially, then sink. They're big a enough not to clog a racking cane.

I second what Jtk suggested. I've added them both with a vodka bath and without. Did not notice any off flavors or issues...but i always err on the side of caution when adding anything. I try to avoid secondary fermentation as well...the chances of being exposed are too great IMO.

Been brewing all grain 6 years now at the rate of a few 7 gal batches per month and I've experimented using a secondary and not using a secondary and hands down without a doubt using a secondary will give you a far better product with a cleaner taste and a cleaner looking beer. I've never had a single infected batch and I've done some questionable oops's yes it always comes out perfect. If you get into filtration it's also easier on the filter pads to use a secondary. Just about most breweries always remove the yeast cake from the beer itself after primary fermentation is complete. If anyone has never experimented with a secondary I suggest you try, you will not be disappointed just be sure to sanitize the new vessel!

You cannot claim that SBharrison, that's just pure misinformation.
I've done both, and short of mass-aging or doing fruit, i've seen no difference in either clarity or taste with secondary or without.

Whenever one of my customers asks this question I always give the same answer: are you initiating a secondary fermentation meaning are you adding a secondary yeast strain? Are you aging for an extended period of time? If the answer to either of these questions is no, then there is no reason to rack your beer. It’s been proven false by both UC Davis Brewer’s Guild and commercial brewers that you will end up with a clearer product simply from transferring. You need to filter down to at least .5 microns to strip all the yeast and proteins that cause chill haze.

Racking is done in the wine world because we see extended aging and other chemical additions in wine that are not common in beer. The extended aging (6 months to two years) could cause the yeast to begin metabolizing themselves once they run out of all fermentable sugars, leading to a bready flavor in your beer. This literally takes 6+ months to occur.

I keep my 5 gallon carboys in stock for my wine makers and 3 gallon beer brewers. I try my best to discourage a regular brewer from buying a “secondary” fermenter just because he read that he should in an outdated brewing book or read legacy advice from a forum.

John Palmer discusses this exact topic in How To Brea and outlines why a secondary is unnecessary. Jamil Zainachef has also beaten this topic to death on The Brewing Network. With all the research showing clear results, it’s hard to argue in favor of racking to secondary.

Must admit if im dry hopping i like to add them to the primary towards the end of the fermentation. Oxygen is not your friend at this point!!

I've been brewing since 1994. Racking to a carboy is a CHOICE. Some people just choose not to do it. I have no issue with their choices. The ONLY problem with not racking to a secondary is if you want to brew and you only have 1-2 buckets that are in use.

I almost ALWAYS rack to a carboy. REASONS: 1) to get the beer off the yeast; 2) to harvest the yeast. (Some brewer's just toss their yeast); 3) to cold crash in a corny; 4) for observation (to make sure the brew clears). If it doesn't you can use clarifier's.; and 5) to reuse the primary bucket (with the already harvested and washed yeast) again.

Yes, I could buy more buckets, but I already have 8 of them. In addition, I have over 20 carboy's and over 20 kegs. And I do meads and ciders.

I happily accept all those reasons except the first, there's been enough experiments and blind tests done to prove that "getting beer of the yeast" is not needed outside of very long(think over 3 months) aging.

Yes my experience time and time again is if you do not remove the beer from the yeast early on it gives it strange and undesirable flavors, which is why I rack and like I said always produces a far better product.

You cannot claim that SBharrison, that's just pure misinformation.
I've done both, and short of mass-aging or doing fruit, i've seen no difference in either clarity or taste with secondary or without.

I respect your opinion but my experience is exactly as I've said. I usually leave my beer 2 to 3 weeks total time before filtering and kegging, leaving the beer on the yeast cake that long definetly leaves an odd flavor in the beer.

your opinion is based on blind tests by many people? It would be interesting, but all tests done by both professionals and people such as brulosophy have not shown any statistical difference in taste.

I’m curious what the “odd flavor” is that you describe after 3 weeks on the yeast. Lab studies show yeast will take a minimum of 6 months to start metabolizing themselves resulting in an off flavor. If you are detecting off flavors after three weeks I’d look at possible signs of wild yeast inoculating and taking a couple weeks to become active. Also I’d look at possible oxidation issues

Back