Cacao Nibs in Conical: Even Flavor Distribution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm using chocolate nibs for the 1st time in an 11gal batch of chocolate stout that I'm brewing for a charity auction, and I have a question about flavor consistency when bottling (I normally keg, which I'll do with the rest that isn't going to auction).

I'm adding 1 pound (0.45kb) of roasted & vodka-soaked nibs (with 2 vanilla beans) to secondary fermentation in the same conical in which primary fermentation is taking place. I won't be racking to another fermenter or kegs, this time, for various reasons.

As recommended by folks on here, I plan to pour the nibs loose through my Spike CF10's hoping port while pumping in CO2 in to keep O2 exposure to a minimum. However... folks on here report that the nibs will sink to bottom and make a sludge. Won't this lead to inconsistency in bottling (I like to rack from the dump port as there's so much deadspace between it and the dedicated racking port).

Is there a way to avoid this (something I'm missing)? Should I just buck up and sacrifice the beer in the deadspace?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back