Quantcast

Seven Man Brew Day in PA

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

DubbelDach

Reaction score
Saturday, me and 6 other brewing friends gathered in Paoli, PA for a group Brew Day. We are going to ferment and serve our beers for a big group of our friends, brewfest style at the end of February. Here's a few pics to get started, but the Photobucket link is here.

Back of the Escape with just my stuff at 6:30am. Still needed to pick up a friend spectator and HBT member and brewer, jaysus.

Spectator friend bailed, so had time to go to Negley Park and take a sunrise pic of Harrisburg:

Good he bailed, because we had just enough room for our stuff... Here's the truckster with both jaysus' and my stuff:

OP
DubbelDach

DubbelDach

Reaction score
All 6 stands... We had 7 guys brewing, but the guy in the red coat was busting his cherry on a kit he got for X-mas. So he had to wait until my burner/propane was available:

Two tuns going... We had 4 all-grain batches, two extract/steep, and one all extract.

6 batches going:

OP
DubbelDach

DubbelDach

Reaction score
We used 66.2 lbs of grain (grain plus extracts, for simplicity), 18 ounces of hops, and well over 100 gallons of water. 7 guys brewed a total of 35 gallons of beer. This would fill over two half kegs.

A big brew day calls for a big beer:

Anyway.... More pics here.

r2eng

Reaction score
I had to laugh at the towels... 'cause I thought I was the only one to use one!

Looks like a blast!

OP
DubbelDach

DubbelDach

Reaction score
Funny thing is that I usually use these pimpin' Mexican blankets... But I was on the road, so I was trying t okeep things to a minimum so I used the gay pink towels...

Jaysus

Reaction score
There was another mash tun wrapped in a ski jacket at one point as well.

JKHomebrew

Reaction score
Man it looks like you guys had a great time, I wish there were guys in my area that do that, what a great way to wrap up the Holiday's, my hat is off to you and hope that I too can partake in something as cool as that someday. My buddys come over when I am brewing but not like that.

The next party should be to drink the brews you made, but I am sure that is allready in the planning

OP
DubbelDach

DubbelDach

Reaction score
Very cool. I don't think i could lug all the gear to a spot to brew, seems like a hassle.
It wasn't awful. I thought it would be... jaysus regularly hauls his stuff to my house. We consolidated what we could though... One hydrometer, one wort chiller, etc....

Warrior

Reaction score
It wasn't awful. I thought it would be... jaysus regularly hauls his stuff to my house. We consolidated what we could though... One hydrometer, one wort chiller, etc....
I've done it twice to brew with the Lancaster club. It is a hassle but worth it to brew with a bunch of other beers geeks such as ourselves.

jezter6

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That's why you should come up to a Maryland Brew Day when it's only in Baltimore.

We leave half the crap behind, never use a hydrometer, and are usually too drunk to brew to recipe so we fake it. :)

OP
DubbelDach

DubbelDach

Reaction score
That's why you should come up to a Maryland Brew Day when it's only in Baltimore.

We leave half the crap behind, never use a hydrometer, and are usually too drunk to brew to recipe so we fake it. :)
Now that sounds like a good time!

Heif

Reaction score
I was one of the seven that day. I'm new on this site. That was my 6th batch ever and it was great to get advice from some of the more veteran guys (DubbelDach, Jaysus). Even greater to suck on all the tasty beers all the fellas brought. That could be a whole 'nother thread.

Warrior

Reaction score

Jezter,

I might take you up on that idea. You've been to my place and it is only an hour ride for me. Gives me a good excuse to stop at Wells, it has been a long time since I've been there.

OP
DubbelDach

DubbelDach

Reaction score
I use a moving blanket over my MLT. One of these days I'm going to finally fill that sucker with Great Stuff, the top that is.
A great idea that's on my list as well. I have a big list though, so Mexi-blanket it is for now!

Beau815

Reaction score
Hey JK homebrew Im about 2 hours from Rochester near Utica and have been wanting to have a relaxing brew day like that. Well have to see if we can get people from around roch, syr, utica, even albany or buff to do this this summer?

nvr2low

Reaction score