Bringing Kids to Breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just about every brewery here in Greater Cincinnati is kid-friendly, but I think it is a cultural thing. The German tradition in town has never hidden alcohol from anyone. Weideman even used to brew a bedtime beer for kids! I've brought my 5 month old to so many already. Never a dirty look, never a worry.

Just about every brewery here in Greater Cincinnati is kid-friendly, but I think it is a cultural thing. The German tradition in town has never hidden alcohol from anyone. Weideman even used to brew a bedtime beer for kids! I've brought my 5 month old to so many already. Never a dirty look, never a worry.

Yeah, and the Germans started two World Wars.

Kids in breweries = World Wars.

i dont think there any issues with kids/ children going to breweries, as long has the parents are responsible about the times they bring them, if the parents cant control there kids then they shouldnt be going to brewery with them
if the kid is getting fussy or out of control one of the parents needs to step out with the child and control the situation,
i have taken my 10 yr old to plenty of breweries with no issues, she was with me at my trip to hill farmstead she played with rocks while we waited, i wouldnt take her to a release event where this is waiting long periods of time for bottles or pours, she also goes to a few local breweries with me, never an issue with any of the owners, has even made a friend at times and they play quietly off to the side,

i have also taken my infant daughter, again never any issues when its not busy she gets to sit on the bar and walk around, all new environments while learning to walk lead to fun times for her, on an other note we almost never take both girls to breweries together because it would become to much of a hassle,

i know im not making or breaking any brewery, but if im unable to stop with my wife for a beer at brewery because i have my kids, we obvisouly just wouldnt be stopping

its like been stated previously like anything else dont be an a**hole and there wont be any issues, control your kids and if there having a bad day take them outside to calm down or cut your day short,

Been talking about this at work with some coworkers, one of whom has a kid and one who does not.

The ultimate conclusion we came up with was: "If you have to ask, the answer is no."

I can see the opposite. Parent's who ask typically are aware parents and don't want to **** with anyone else's enjoyment. Parent's who don't even think about it can be ignorant to the fact that their kid is negatively affecting everyone else.

Funny that this article was posted just a day before this article; guess this is on everyone's mind lately, now that it's the summer.

I've taken my daughter to bars and breweries before; I think the first "restaurant" she ever went to was Toronado. When she was an infant she kept quiet and didn't take up space, and I always asked ahead of time so as not to offend anybody there. But now that she's 18 months old and heading into her curious "what happens if I run around and punch this random person in the dick" stage, she's not touching a tasting room, bar, or brewery until she gets a little older.

Moving forward, I'm not intending on taking kids anywhere that isn't truly kid-friendly. Just because a tasting room/bar/restaurant has high chairs to use doesn't make it kid-friendly, especially if the quarters are crowded, dimly lit, and full of surly ********.

It depends on the brewery I suppose. We took our daughter to Jester King at 7 months old but she's chill as ****.

Saint Arnold's has a dedicated tap for their root beer which is a top 3 root beer for me if not the best and kids get unlimited pours of it. In other words it's very kid friendly.

Sounds like an inconsiderate jerk problem. Couldn't you have replaced that "baby stuff" with jackets and purses and had the same story?

I'll let you know how I feel about bringing a baby to bars/tasting rooms in a few months.
The distinct difference is that children and parents are sacred cows in a sense. Kids being special and parenting being hard.

I can generally say "Hey move your coats" to a group of people who don't have kids with them.

But baby stuff? Most people won't confront that at all and parents react differently, often with hostility. Not all, by any means, but many.

There are too many angles on this- but, here are some random thoughts:

Our culture isn't really kid friendly or family friendly. I've been that parent trying to slug something incredible down my throat coz I realize my daughter is about to go ballistic...it's a horrible feeling knowing I'm about to piss off the majority of people around me. Looking back, it wasn't worth it.

Most ppl go to a brewery to chill and socialize. A kid in the environment can sometimes kill it for other people, but why can't adults with kids be there too? It's like when one becomes a parent, one is no longer able to enjoy the same things...Unless it's related to kid stuff. Brewery? Or Frozen? Hmmmm tough choices.

This leads to more hypocrisy or contradictory behavior because in Murica, drinking is an adult thing, where adults can yet again act like children with other adults acting like children. So get that ****ing kid outta here so no one gets embarrassed when the kid acts better than the adults.

Parents bring too much **** with them and any available counter or table space looks inviting! coz, well most parents are over-worked, tired, under-sexed and socially deprived...so daddy needs a few pops, but does that table get clear? Or do the parents insist the table stay a bottle holder? There's also the money issue for childcare, babysitting, etc.

TLDR: It shouldn't be a hassle, for anyone. It seems like a decision the brewery needs to make. Kids or no kids. It's just that simple because there's absolutely no compromise.

The drinking/driving thing is another issue altogether, IMO.
Wut? Much of this country revolves around children and families.

It depends on the brewery I suppose. We took our daughter to Jester King at 7 months old but she's chill as ****.

Saint Arnold's has a dedicated tap for their root beer which is a top 3 root beer for me if not the best and kids get unlimited pours of it. In other words it's very kid friendly.
Depends on the circumstances for sure.

The one time I was at Jester King, last fall, I was sitting outside with my beer, enjoying the sun and the scenery.

Then a group of parents and kids set up shop next to me. Kids running around screaming, parents kicking soccer balls all over to entertain them, kids being chased and reprimanded...it was ****ing obnoxious.

There are so many other places to do that. Hell there's a damn pizza restaurant on the property, plus tons of open space to run around away from the seating area.

I've never experienced one without the other. Wherever you see the calm family you'll eventually have the melting kids and pissed parents.
Yup. If a brewery wants to cater to families, go right ahead. Whoever doesn't like it can go someplace else. But your average industrial space filled with racked barrels, tables, and couches? No, please don't let your kids run around screaming.

Funny that this article was posted just a day before this article; guess this is on everyone's mind lately, now that it's the summer.

I've taken my daughter to bars and breweries before; I think the first "restaurant" she ever went to was Toronado. When she was an infant she kept quiet and didn't take up space, and I always asked ahead of time so as not to offend anybody there. But now that she's 18 months old and heading into her curious "what happens if I run around and punch this random person in the dick" stage, she's not touching a tasting room, bar, or brewery until she gets a little older.

Moving forward, I'm not intending on taking kids anywhere that isn't truly kid-friendly. Just because a tasting room/bar/restaurant has high chairs to use doesn't make it kid-friendly, especially if the quarters are crowded, dimly lit, and full of surly ********.
Yeah I wouldn't want my hypothetical kids around me either

Depends on the circumstances for sure.

The one time I was at Jester King, last fall, I was sitting outside with my beer, enjoying the sun and the scenery.

Then a group of parents and kids set up shop next to me. Kids running around screaming, parents kicking soccer balls all over to entertain them, kids being chased and reprimanded...it was ****ing obnoxious.

There are so many other places to do that. Hell there's a damn pizza restaurant on the property, plus tons of open space to run around away from the seating area.
That's just people being jerks.

My oldest daughter and my wife took the tour one time while my son and me waited in line for my bottles. It was fun for a bit but then we left Jester King and went to Barton Springs Reservoir and went kayaking. There is so much family stuff to do in Austin, why waste a day at Jester King.

That's just people being jerks.

My oldest daughter and my wife took the tour one time while my son and me waited in line for my bottles. It was fun for a bit but then we left Jester King and went to Barton Springs Reservoir and went kayaking. There is so much family stuff to do in Austin, why waste a day at Jester King.
Oh for sure, it always depends, but it was jerkiness directly related to bringing kids and setting up shop. I doubt these people would be noticeably rude or obnoxious if they didn't have kids with them.

The situation happens because there's this perception now that breweries are great for kids since it's laid back and there's usually tons of space, so let 'er rip.

Then of course the childless people are ogres for not wanting a full blown playground situation when we're trying to relax outside with a beer.

Oh for sure, it always depends, but it was jerkiness directly related to bringing kids and setting up shop. I doubt these people would be noticeably rude or obnoxious if they didn't have kids with them.

The situation happens because there's this perception now that breweries are great for kids since it's laid back and there's usually tons of space, so let 'er rip.

Then of course the childless people are ogres for not wanting a full blown playground situation when we're trying to relax outside with a beer.
Relax.

Hah, there were so many infants and strollers there (Rare Barrel) when I visited that my friend was taking photos and posting them on Instagram and Facebook with the hashtag #babiesatbreweries. franch was a huge fan. ;)

thank gawd i saw nary a ****ing baby at rare barrel

eta: and not in these namby-pamby, hipsters and soccer mom's sipping the craft beer of the day type bars

biker bars, skid row gutter bars, country slugfest bars.

me and every other kid my age. we played Space Invaders and recycled beer cans for change.

can't remember a single one of those felons complaining about us being there. mostly because their kids were there, too.

now Scott and Suzie, who brought their toy yorkie in his sweater, fresh from a manicure (!) don't want to risk someone's 6 year old harming their precious baby (she's just like a child, only she takes more work!) while they chat about the art walk they're going on after pottery class on Saturday.

grow some hard bark, you ****s

My rule of thumb is how is my son acting today. If he is pissing me off then we aren't going to chuck e cheese yet alone a brewery, if he is being good then I'll take him anywhere because a pair of headphones and an iPad with a game or movie solves everything. I would never let him run around or be annoying to others because I don't tolerate that in our life.

Be an observant parent. Don't act like your kids aren't there or that people want to hear your kid complain or cry. If you don't care if your kids are obnoxious in public go to red robin.

You should have changed his diaper on the table in full view of any and all hipsters.
...I don't think anyone would like that, whether "hipster" or not.

Also curious to see what your definition of a hipster is.

Also curious to see what your definition of a hipster is.

hipsters.gif

hipster-tash_3046941b.jpg

pull-bear-man-collection-hipster-premium-autumn-winter-invierno-2012-fashion-trends-modaddiction-10.jpg

Latest posts

Back