My first beer release event : Barrel Culture Brewing and Blending

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xernex

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
This past weekend I went out to my first ever brewery release for Barrel Culture Brewing and Blending in Durham NC. The place is right around the corner from work, the brewer shops at the same homebrew shop I go to, and was incredibly friendly when I met him there. So I figure I wanna check this stuff out. They are doing all oak barrel fermenting, and using a ton of fruit in their beer. Sounded right up my alley.

Event starts at 11 AM Saturday - 250 bottles available of each release, with 3 separate beers being released.

7:22 PM Friday night the first person gets in line... I see this on Facebook and think "wow that's dedication, but I'll just wake up whenever and go tomorrow"

~9PM Friends post they are going to camp out. "Those folks are crazy, my bed is nice and comfy

11PM - the wife says its sleepy time... I check Facebook, and 40ish folks are in line "wow, ehhh maybe I'll set the alarm for 8 am" - the brewery is an hour commute

11PM-4AM- I toss and turn, because I'm a child and dreams of fruity sour goodness are dancing in my head

4AM - get up check FB, and see the line has grown...contemplate waking the wife...realize I'd like to remain breathing

7AM - I can't stand it... I've gotta get up and go...but if I leave SWMBO home I can only get 3...if I wake her, I die, if I wait until the alarm she comes and I get 6 bottles.

8AM, she wakes, I have breakfast made (aren't I thoughtful) we rush to eat and off we go by 8:45

9:30 we arrive - maybe I was speeding, the line is wrapped around the building, snaking back to the end of the parking lot....surely there aren't 250 people here though right? Guys are walking down the line giving out bracelets with numbers - we get 177 and 178...thank god..

10-11 - a massive bottle share is happening, kind folks I've never met are pouring me samples of special releases from all over. People in Barrel Culture shirts are walking around with Crowlers full of delicious Joose from the Answer - I'm in heaven.

11 - the line starts moving, the Barrel culture folks move through the line taking payment making it easy to walk in grab your bottles and bolt if need be, the Taproom is open with more of their offerings as well as guest taps. The wife is hot, thirsty (not for beer) and hungry so we move through the line get our bottles and go.

I hand over the keys because the bottle share was so good to me :tank: and place our 6 new babies in the back seat, buckling them and their box in.

Promised the wife shopping, lunch etc for going - but when we got home I popped the first bottle, absolutely incredible stuff, suddenly my wallet realizes the brewery being next to work is a bad thing.

TL : DR - Opening was awesome, bottle share delicious, products from the brewery divine

20604356_10104538680729453_2999602557565024647_n.jpg

20622176_10104539535067353_7966669748528275334_n.jpg

Nice! Buddy of mine was up there for it. Said he was damn impressed. I've been following them on the social medias and have been super excited about having an all oak barrel brewery and blending just north of me. Can't wait to get on some of that.

Back