Screwed up brew day (long)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongoose33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My 24th batch, 21st all grain. Worst. Brew. Day. Ever.

A friend has wanted to get into homebrewing so we decided to brew together. He's an IPA nut so I looked for a relatively simple recipe we could do. I found Yooper's Dogfish Head clone, it wasn't all that complicated (so I thought), so we decided to do it. Went to LHBS for ingredients, got everything we needed (13# 2-row, 6 oz Thomas Fawcett roasted, Warrior, Simcoe, Amarillo, S-05).

We start the brew day and it goes ok at the beginning. He helps me mill the grain, we get water going. I've used EZ water to get a profile (RO water, add 6gr Gypsum, 6gr CaCl, 5 gr Epsom Salts, 2.5 ml Lactic Acid), so we're ready to go. Predicted PH is 5.42.

Well. Worst. Brew. Day. Ever. Oh, I said that. My friend is taking notes and asking questions. Good student. I'm working on answering him and explaining and providing context as we go. Strike water is warmed to target temp, so we begin dough-in.

ACK! WE'RE DOUGHED IN, AND I FORGOT THE WATER ADDITIONS!!! FRANTIC ADDITIONS TO MASH, STIRRING LIKE MAD TO GET THEM ALL MIXED IN, HOPING IT'LL WORK OUT.

We wait. At least the mash temp is ok at 152, so I set out to calibrate the PH meter. Calibrate it, then at 15 minutes in, draw a sample off the mash. I put it in a small glass that has been in the freezer so as to cool the sample to room temp as quickly as possible.

It cools, I put in the PH meter.

ACK! THE PH IS 4.95. SOMETHING'S WRONG. I'VE NEVER BEEN THIS LOW! MAYBE WE DIDN'T STIR ENOUGH--I DON'T KNOW.

We open mash tun, stir again. Draw another sample (had another frozen glass), drop to room temperature. Mash PH settles at 5.08. Can't figure out what's wrong. Recalibrate PH meter, thinking that may be the culprit. It's not. Calibrates fine, registers calibration solutions correctly.

Using refractometer, check gravity of sample. It's pretty high (1.079 or so), which means conversion is occurring.

We continue on to the end of the mash (60 minutes), start vorlauf. First runnings have a gravity of 1.093, which is....fine. Normal. About where I would have guessed given previous largish grain bills. We sparge just fine, second runnings are 1.035 (fine), and preboil overall gravity is 1.057. Just fine. Not sure what effect the PH had but conversion was where I'd have expected it.

Boil kettle heating, cleanup of mash tun ensues, kettle is close to boiling, we review hop additions. Instructions say .75 oz Warrior, but the ones we have are lower in AA than recipe specifies. Debate concludes: put in the whole ounce. We do.

ACK! CLOSER READING OF INSTRUCTIONS: HALF OF WARRIOR IN A 60 MINUTES, HALF AT 35 MINUTES. ALL ARE IN AT 60 MINUTES!

Boil proceeds. Rest of hops to be sprinked in continuously after 35 minutes. We do that, more or less. Focused on sprinkling hops, forgetting other issues:

ACK! FORGOT TO ADD WHIRLFLOC TABLET AT 15 MINUTES, FORGOT TO PUT IMMERSION CHILLER IN AT 15 MINUTES!

We put IC in kettle, think on it a bit, decide to return kettle to boil for a bit to sterilize IC, give whirlfloc a chance. Boil for 5 minutes, begin chilling wort.

Rest of brew day goes fine--reconstituted yeast OK, racked wort to fermenter, aerated wort w/ O2, pitched yeast. Within six hours, airlock is bubbling; activity! Fermenter in fermentation chamber, set at 64 degrees.

I've brewed a lot of good beers. I love people's reactions to my beer, which typically runs to "Hey, that's pretty good!" I have people wanting more, which while not necessarily elevating my beer to "great" levels, certainly suggests it's good. Heck, I'd rather drink my beer than anything they have at the local pub, which says something about either my beer or my taste. :)

Why was my brew day all screwed up? I tend to be very focused on brew day, reviewing directions, arranging equipment and so on. I know that part of the confusion was a new arrangement/setup for brewing when it's 30 degrees outside.

We put a box fan in a window to exhaust steam so it wouldn't gather in the garage ceiling, added a propane heater, and cracked the service door to provide makeup air. This necessitated moving my equipment, table, and so on from its normal location. (Pic below--I'm really excited by this as it means as long as the temp outside is near freezing, I can brew).

The new arrangements--and having lots of questions and explaining to do to my friend--threw me off my game. I never miss water additions, always review directions, I'm *organized*.

I think the beer will turn out ok. There's still dry-hopping to do, and while it may not match Yooper's clone recipe, it'll still be beer. I'm still unclear why the PH turned out so low--have to do some thinking on that.

I'm also going to rethink how I might include someone in brew day. Have any of you done this successfully? How did you do it without screwing up your brew?

PS: We had a couple of beers--I'm serious, two--but they were later in the brew day and neither of us felt any effects. So don't blame the beer! :)

kettleexhaustfan.jpg

Hey, it will still be beer. Maybe a little bitter but probably pretty good.

Sometimes mistakes are good learning tools. You friend will get the idea that you need to be organized and pay attention, so as to not make mistakes.

Cheers

I don't think that's all too bad. Heck, I've never checked pH and never have any water additions. I'd consider the hops a minor mistake, you'll still get beer. Chalk it up as a learning experience. :mug:

Ah, come on..... when I clicked on this thread I was expecting an explosion or trip the hospital. Slightly too bitter IPA? That's barely even a mistake..... :)

If you want some constructive criticism about your brew day planning, you might want to post a bit more about how you normally stay organized.

You would have been fine not returning the wort to the boil, 10 minutes in near boiling temp after boil is completed would have been enough for the IC. Still would have made for more conversion of hops though.

This was your worst brew day ever? No giant roiling fireballs? No one frantically ripping off clothing as napalm-like sugary wort clings to them? Not even beer pouring out of a ball valve negligently left open... you'll be fine :)

Ah, come on..... when I clicked on this thread I was expecting an explosion or trip the hospital. Slightly too bitter IPA? That's barely even a mistake..... :)

Well, it was a disaster by my normally organized standards. :)

The buddy I had over has been drinking my beer for a while, so when I told him I'd be happy to show him how.....I didn't expect it to be such a CF.

If you want some constructive criticism about your brew day planning, you might want to post a bit more about how you normally stay organized.

I've looked back on it and I'm sure it was a combination of a couple things. One was that my whole brew area was rearranged. Where the boil kettle was sitting is where i usually have a small table on which I arrange water additions, hop additions, whirfloc tablet, and so on. Rather than the table being next to the kettle, which normally it is, it was behind and to the right, which means.....well, it threw me out of my routine.

The other was the buddy there watching. I'm a professor by profession so my natural inclination is to teach, to explain, to provide context, to help students understand. So there was a lot of explaining going on. My buddy is also a professor so it's not like he's unable to understand, just that there's a lot of foreign language (tun, vorlauf, mash, strike water, sparge, flameout, the timing nomenclature, water additions, etc. etc.).

My focus should have been on the brewing not on explaining. I figured I could do the brewing in my sleep, but obviously that's not the case. I should have organized everything ahead of time before we started, explained it to him, and then began brewing.

This was your worst brew day ever? No giant roiling fireballs? No one frantically ripping off clothing as napalm-like sugary wort clings to them? Not even beer pouring out of a ball valve negligently left open... you'll be fine :)

Yes, my worst brew day ever. I've left open a ball valve. I've had a boilover. I've burned myself (not badly).

But you'd have thought this was my first brew day ever by the things I screwed up.

My brew days are also chaotic when Im distracted by friends over when brewing.
Your low pH wont be too much of a problem.
1oz of warrior at 60 is perfect.
Best. Brew. Day. Ever!

Sounds like you've got a pretty organized plan usually, but I think you probably overdid it for a "learn to brew" day. You essentially tried to give the graduate class version instead of brewing 101. No wonder you were busy answering questions! Water chemistry? That's not something you tackle on your first brew day. Personally, if I try to teach someone new, I try to make it as straight forward as possible. eg I do any calculations and additions the night before. I'll pick a really simple recipe - infusion mash, maybe 2 hop additions. Normally I measure everything along the way, but while showing someone else, I just let it roll and take a single OG reading. The point is to show the person the basic process, and try to keep the spirit that this is a relaxing and enjoyable hobby. Yes, many of us eventually become fairly obsessive about our process, but that probably isn't how we all started out.

Back