Serious Off Flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaxterBrews

Reaction score
Just kegged an Allagash White Clone with a recipe I hadn't used before and the first taste was straight band aid....both taste and smell....really can't even drink it.

I've been reading a ton and trying to source the issue and have landed on perhaps too much chlorine in my water. I haven't historically treated my water at all. I am worried though that the water may not be the issue because I haven't had this same off flavor before.

Just curious to get any thoughts. I've included a few specifics below:

6 Gallon Brew in a Bag....no sparge

5.5 lbs Pilsner
2.5 lbs White Wheat
2.5 lbs Red Wheat
0.5 lbs Cara-Pils
0.5 lbs Flaked Oats

60 minute mash time

.5 oz Pearle - 60 Minutes
.5 oz Saaz - 20 Minutes

Wyeast 3944

Corriander, Orange Peel (Bitter) and Ginger - all added at Flame Out

Any help would be awesome...love this beer and would love 5 gallons sitting in a keg.

JB

What temperature did you ferment? Also over pitching can enhance phenols. Without water treatment it's probably chlorophenol. What other off flavors have you had with this same beer?

Do you use "city" water. If so, you never know when the municipality changes up their potion, flushes pipes, makes the source the Detroit River, etc, etc

I did ferment a little high....probably closer to low 70's and I did create a 1 Liter starter for a 6 gallon batch.

To be honest most of the time I haven't had off flavors....the beer has just been too thin so I added some additional stuff to the grain bill. I got the feel and consistency good this time....just so much band aid.

Sometimes water companies will give the supply a "shock" treatment of chlorine/chloramine to deal with periodic microorganism issues. If you got your brewing water after one of those treatments, and the excess chlorine/chloramine hadn't had time to clear the distribution system beforehand, it could have borked your batch. Campden is cheap insurance. A half tablet (about 300 mg) will treat 10 gal of "normally" chlorinated water. After one of the shock treatments, it may take more (judge by taste/smell, if you can detect chlorine, you need more campden.) I won't brew without it anymore.

Brew on :mug:

Sometimes water companies will give the supply a "shock" treatment of chlorine/chloramine to deal with periodic microorganism issues. If you got your brewing water after one of those treatments, and the excess chlorine/chloramine hadn't had time to clear the distribution system beforehand, it could have borked your batch. Campden is cheap insurance. A half tablet (about 300 mg) will treat 10 gal of "normally" chlorinated water. After one of the shock treatments, it may take more (judge by taste/smell, if you can detect chlorine, you need more campden.) I won't brew without it anymore.

Brew on :mug:

This is the season for shock treatments of chloramine/chlorine. My last batch was also ruined by this, and testing Campden in the water a couple of days ago I found I needed half a tablet in 5 gal to get rid of the chlorine smell.

At that level, I think I need to even treat the sanitizing solution water as I use StarSan and transfer onto foam - it takes very little residual chlorine to give a detectable band-aid taste.

Back