Secondary fermentation questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayvie

Reaction score
Hi,

I just want to be sure about the secondary fermentation. I'm using Beersmith 2 for my recipe and it's says that in need to put 2,3g per volume for the secondary fermentation. What does that means ?

Also, can I filtrate my beer between my first and my second fermentation ?

Do you have any other advices for me ?

Thanks!

Jeremy

I think you are misreading things. The 2.3 per volume would be the carbonation level for the style of the beer.

This is achieved by the amount and type of priming sugar you use if bottling or the pressure you set if kegging.

IMO there is no need to filter your beer at all. If you give it enough time in primary alone the debris will settle. I rarely secondary and never filter and my beers are clear.

Ok, but if I do a secondary fermentation, do I need to put some sugar in the bottle ? If yes, what amount ? Also, it's not necessary to make a second fermentation ? What are the benefits ?

Ok, but if I do a secondary fermentation, do I need to put some sugar in the bottle ? If yes, what amount ? Also, it's not necessary to make a second fermentation ? What are the benefits ?

A "secondary fermentation" generally refers to putting the beer into a carboy to age. No sugar is added, as that is for clearing and conditioning, and it is not necessary to do it for most beer styles.

When you bottle, yes, you need to add some sugar to the bottle. Generally, .75 ounce (by weight) up to 1 ounce of sugar per finished gallon of beer. It's easiest to dissolve the sugar in some boiling water, put that in the bottling bucket and then rack (siphon) the beer into that to mix and bottle from there.

You do not want to filter with anything on the way to the bottling bucket or bottle, as that would allow some oxygenation and then ruin the beer. Oxygen pick up is the death of beer once fermentation begins.

Back