Secondary fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipperypete

Reaction score
Quick question,

I am going to brew a wheat ale on Sunday that I plan to condition on mango in a secondary. I will be using Voss Kveik that will ferment in my ferm chamber at 85F, but I am wondering if the secondary should be at that temp or cooler. It will be the only thing in the ferm chamber so I can set it to any temp I like for the secondary.

Thanks,

Scott

Well...with pretty much anything but a kveik pitch it'd be Fusel City, but 85°F is apparently smack in that strain's wheel house. Mutant hot ninja beasties running clean, I guess (I've never used a Kveik strain).

Anyway, that's getting through primary. I would be reticent to leave fruit sitting for a protracted duration at 85°F though - seems like it'd be asking for degradation of the fruit character - and would opt for something a bit chiller, like 50°F, or even 40°F which would be close to fridge temp, and make sure the fruit is at least diced fine if not pureed (my practice), which would allow keeping the duration short...

Cheers!

I would put fruit in at the very tail end of primary. Right when diacetyl and acetaldehyde is mostly cleaned up. Toss the fruit in, leave it for a day and start crashing.

Might be some dependency on the type of fruit and the form it takes. Anything chunkier than puree, for instance, is going to need more time I would think. And even with puree, the sugar content can rile yeast up for a few days.

fwiw, I make a wheat beer with a pound of raspberry puree per gallon, adding the fermented base beer to a fresh carboy with the puree resident, and the resulting fermentation activity does take a few days to finish...

Cheers!

Well...with pretty much anything but a kveik pitch it'd be Fusel City, but 85°F is apparently smack in that strain's wheel house. Mutant hot ninja beasties running clean, I guess (I've never used a Kveik strain).

Anyway, that's getting through primary. I would be reticent to leave fruit sitting for a protracted duration at 85°F though - seems like it'd be asking for degradation of the fruit character - and would opt for something a bit chiller, like 50°F, or even 40°F which would be close to fridge temp, and make sure the fruit is at least diced fine if not pureed (my practice), which would allow keeping the duration short...

Cheers!
That’s what I was thinking, just put in the purée right before cold crashing for a week.

Back