Searching for recent experience with SafAle S-33

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It makes a real good spelt bread. Ran out of yeast, stores were closed, warm water with some honey, five minutes to get foam, into the dough it went, marvelous.

I'm a fan, have been for a while but picked it up again lately since Fermentis recommend it for NEIPA now, along with K-97 and S-04.

Goes great in a stout or porter - nice esters and profile and a bit of residual sweetness and body to back up the roast flavours.

It's funny how when i started brewing I was all about having high attenuating yeast strains in general as I thought low attenuating strains would make overly sweet beer, now I really enjoy it along with cutting back on bitterness levels. How our palate changes, eh!

Its close relative Windsor has a reputation for slowly creeping through fermentation like that, after you think it's finished.
It's a little confusing though, since 75% AA for a simple all grain recipe typically suggests the yeast does consume a significant amount of maltotriose. Would that mean the S33 / ESB / Windsor family utilizes maltotriose, albeit at extended fermentations, or do they strictly not consume maltotriose and something else is going on?

Wouldn't be surprised if the overattenuation is from hop creep - maltotriose is linked together with (1,4) glycoside bonds - the type that hop glucosidases would be able to cleave.
Of course if people aren't dry hopping and getting attenuation over 80% there might be something else at play

Wouldn't be surprised if the overattenuation is from hop creep - maltotriose is linked together with (1,4) glycoside bonds - the type that hop glucosidases would be able to cleave.
Of course if people aren't dry hopping and getting attenuation over 80% there might be something else at play

I don't dry hop for those recipes, so i am getting 64 - 68% AA for my S33 and M15 within 5 days which is typical for a yeast that doesnt utilise maltotriose. But a few times i was busy and left it fermenting for up to 28 days it got up to 75% AA.

Not sure about the creeping part either because i have tried measuring at 7 and 10 days but its basically still at 64 - 68% AA. Its as if the yeast falls asleep for a couple of weeks after the maltose meal and wakes up hungry for maltotriose

I don't dry hop for those recipes, so i am getting 64 - 68% AA for my S33 and M15 within 5 days which is typical for a yeast that doesnt utilise maltotriose. But a few times i was busy and left it fermenting for up to 28 days it got up to 75% AA.

Not sure about the creeping part either because i have tried measuring at 7 and 10 days but its basically still at 64 - 68% AA. Its as if the yeast falls asleep for a couple of weeks after the maltose meal and wakes up hungry for maltotriose
That scares the s*it out of me, I'm happy that I used the one pack I had for baking.

That scares the s*it out of me, I'm happy that I used the one pack I had for baking.

i do get a little paranoid and make sure to keep my bottles in the fridge, but i'm sure if there were any issues people would have reported it? S33 seems to be a pretty widely used yeast, plus it makes perfectly good beer

I haven't experienced any overly carbonated bottles whenever using S-33, even after a few months. But the latest batch brewed with S-33 went in the keg and its apparent attenuation was 83%, as mentioned earlier. I got 86% with US-05. I can't put my finger on what happended. I am happy to assume that I made a mistake when measuring gravity with the hydrometer. I have two hydrometers, and always cross-check with both. The batch was dry hopped with 6 oz / 170 gr hops that stayed on the beer for only 2 days. I mashed low and added 2 sachets for something like 6 gallons of beer with an OG of just 1.050. Fermentis states attenuation between 68-72%, which is consistent with what I usually get it with it. I have experienced higher attenuation before, when mashing low and adding 5-6% simple sugars.

Does anyone have experience with the S33 consistently restarting fermentation around the 2 week mark?

Something I have noticed in my notes with the S33 (and also M15) is that they ferment very quickly, getting to around 64 - 68% AA within 4 - 5 days with no further gravity drop thereafter. However on a couple of brews where i have left the primary up to 28 days, i seem to get up to 75% AA.

Searching around the forums I have seen some people mention that the fermentation can start again after 2 weeks but i would like to check if this is a regular phenomenon for evceryone.

I wonder if extending the fermentation time allows for the potential of wild yeasts to enter into the system and re-kindle the fermentation?

I wonder if extending the fermentation time allows for the potential of wild yeasts to enter into the system and re-kindle the fermentation?

Definitely, but that would be a general sanitation issue. Since i haven't experienced that with other yeasts i just assumed contamination wasn't the reason.

I have done fermentations with S04 and the gravity stays the same whether i leave it for 7 days or 30 days

I'm a fan, have been for a while but picked it up again lately since Fermentis recommend it for NEIPA now, along with K-97 and S-04.

Goes great in a stout or porter - nice esters and profile and a bit of residual sweetness and body to back up the roast flavours.

It's funny how when i started brewing I was all about having high attenuating yeast strains in general as I thought low attenuating strains would make overly sweet beer, now I really enjoy it along with cutting back on bitterness levels. How our palate changes, eh!
For many years, all I made was bottle conditioned Belgian style Ales......
Now 99% Lagers, with a few "Ales" - (Weizen bier, Kolsch)
I do miss the Belgians, but I just got too F'd up on them and gained a lot of weight.... Now riding a bicycle a lot, and drinking lagers!

Back