Screw Top Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacschmidt

Reaction score
Can you use a standard 2 handled capper on screw top bottles? Or do you need a bench capper?

It is kinda hit and miss. The butterfly capper can seal them but not everytime. I have not used a bench top capper.

I have used a wing capper to cap screw top bottles for over 20 years, but our reusable screw top bottles here in Canada are stronger than your American one use bottles and you take the risk of breaking the neck with a wing capper on those.

how about screw cap growler bottles? Could I use the Ten Penny Ale bottles for my homebrew and reuse the caps once they are santitized?

tar1010 said:
how about screw cap growler bottles? Could I use the Ten Penny Ale bottles for my homebrew and reuse the caps once they are santitized?

Bad idea. Two growler bombs have been the result of trying to "bottle" in a screw top growler. They are not made to handle the pressure created with bottle conditioning.

To the other questions, bench cappers are great. I've used hundreds of screw on bmc bottles without a single problem. you create your own screw offs. I could never go back to the world of winged cappers.

tar1010 said:

I've heard bad stories about this like the last poster. OTOH, I've used screwtop growlers at least 10 times without a single negative result. Ymmv.

I've bottled in ten penny growlers for years , no problems, just beware overuse of the caps, which DO wear out, causing loss of seal. Replacements are available online which are designed to be reused.

I've bottled in ten penny growlers for years , no problems, just beware overuse of the caps, which DO wear out, causing loss of seal. Replacements are available online which are designed to be reused.

That's awesome, mainly because it eliminates capping. Which I have decided...sucks. Thanks :rockin:

Back