Do you really need a bench capper for Belgian 375s?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepy_D

Reaction score
Starting a series of Belgian beers and I want to use the Belgian 375 ml bottles so that I can bottle condition to high CO2 volumes. I saw some things on line saying those work best with bench cappers. Is this true? If so which bench capper is the best value? I’m seeing some pretty expensive ones which I’m willing to pay for if they are worth the money.

We are talking about crown caps and not corks aren't we?

375 mm bottles probably are going to use the bigger size crown cap than we use on standard 12 fl. oz. bottles here in the USA. So maybe the small bit more muscle to make a proper crimp and you'll get tired out with a two handed capper.

I have always used a bench capper from the get-go. For me it makes the process much easier and at the time a bench capper wasn't that much more money.

For certain you need to know what size crown cap that bottle takes and for certain the die on your capper needs to be the correct size for the cap and bottle.

Are you sure all 375 ml bottles are made to withstand higher vols? I've carb'd my 12 fl. oz. bottles to between 3.2 and 3.8 vols. Maybe even 4.0 plus by accident. By some that might be too much, but I store and handle my bottles as if they are bombs regaurdless.

We are talking about crown caps and not corks aren't we?

375 mm bottles probably are going to use the bigger size crown cap than we use on standard 12 fl. oz. bottles here in the USA. So maybe the small bit more muscle to make a proper crimp and you'll get tired out with a two handed capper.

I have always used a bench capper from the get-go. For me it makes the process much easier and at the time a bench capper wasn't that much more money.

For certain you need to know what size crown cap that bottle takes and for certain the die on your capper needs to be the correct size for the cap and bottle.

Are you sure all 375 ml bottles are made to withstand higher vols? I've carb'd my 12 fl. oz. bottles to between 3.2 and 3.8 vols. Maybe even 4.0 plus by accident. By some that might be too much, but I store and handle my bottles as if they are bombs regaurdless.
My understanding is that standard 12 oz bottles can be “safely” carbed to 3 volumes where the 375s can “safely” go to 4. I have also heard of people going to mid 3s with standard bottles but I’m going to err on the side of caution

My understanding is that standard 12 oz bottles can be “safely” carbed to 3 volumes where the 375s can “safely” go to 4. I have also heard of people going to mid 3s with standard bottles but I’m going to err on the side of caution
But some go to 11.. The ones with the "dent" in the bottom are typically rated for higher pressure.

In all seriousness, Some of the 375s and 750s use a 10cm(?) cap that is wider than the standard cap, so so make sure whichever capper you are using supports it(some are reversible). If you are doing and volume, the bench capper make life easier no matter what you are capping just make sure to fill bottles by height.

But some go to 11.. The ones with the "dent" in the bottom are typically rated for higher pressure.

In all seriousness, Some of the 375s and 750s use a 10cm(?) cap that is wider than the standard cap, so so make sure whichever capper you are using supports it(some are reversible). If you are doing and volume, the bench capper make life easier no matter what you are capping just make sure to fill bottles by height.
What do you mean “fill bottles by height”?

With a bench capper, you can adjust the height. If you are doing bottles of differing heights, do them in batches to minimize having to adjust the height. I have mostly run into it filling 12oz vs 330ml bottles as those get mixed in my stock for bottling time.

If all your bottles are the same it's a non-issue.

I think you might be just going by things people say as anecdotal evidence. Few of any discussion on the internet at beer forums ever links to anyone that really knows through manufacturer specifications. I've seen both thin and thick 12fl. oz. bottles and thin and thick bottles of all the other sizes too.

So unless you have verification from the particular maker of those bottles, then it's just a guess.

If you bought the least expensive you can find, they probably have the least amount of glass or whatever material they are made from. So possibly not as good as some of your 12 fl. oz. bottles that might be thicker walls.

I use bench capper for normal bottles.
I use an Emily capper lever type with a tirage bell for the champagne bottles.
It has worked absolutely fine on 750 and 375 bottles.

I use bench capper for normal bottles.
I use an Emily capper lever type with a tirage bell for the champagne bottles.
It has worked absolutely fine on 750 and 375 bottles.
The red twin lever hand capper? That’s what I have now. Do you also use the 750 and 375 bottles for higher carbed beers?

The red twin lever hand capper? That’s what I have now. Do you also use the 750 and 375 bottles for higher carbed beers?
Yes the red twin lever, I changed the bell for the larger champagne caps ( 28mm ithink).
Do note if you order the replacement bell to get the correct fitting. Bench capper needs a female bell I think and Emily a male. Check yours by unscrewing it before you order.
I got a large quantity of champagne bottles from a wine bar.
Picked up 65 of the 375ml bottles after a Belgian/ funky beer festival.

Mine are all champagne bottle style at 750ml and 375ml.
FYI new moet Chandon champagne bottles take the standard crown cap.

Latest posts

Back