Scottish Ale from Wyeast Fermenting at 49-51 Fahrenheit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathanmunn

Reaction score
I was reading about how the original Scottish ales where fermented slowly at really low temps, so i gave it a shot I have a 1087OG Scottish ale fermenting right now at 49-51. I am really impressed that the yeast is still working away at that low temp. Have any of you gotten an ale yeast to ferment at such a low temp?

Can't say I've tried an ale yeast that low but it sounds like you're on to something. When it starts to slow I would raise the temp a couple degrees a day up to about 70 degrees. This should make sure you don't get stuck with an under attenuated beer. That would really suck with such a high gravity.

not as low as yours, but i once pitched a smack pack of scottish ale into a 1.070 winter ale that was fermenting in the basement in the upper 50's (yeah, this was back in my sloppy days) and it just fermented as usual. I thought that beer was doomed for sure.

I was able to ferment at 48-52 on an 80/- just recently. Nicely attenuated and there is definitely a smokey hint due to the yeast here.

@Randar,
nice job. I was hoping to get some of that smokey flavor without adding peated malt. So many people add ingredients to Scottish ales that are not historically accurate. If you don't mind me asking what grain bill and hopping schedule did you use? I did 94.5% Golden Promise, 4% Brown Malt, 1.5% Roasted Barley with 31 IBU's from Goldings added at 60 Mins and 40 mins left on boil.

@Randar,
nice job. I was hoping to get some of that smokey flavor without adding peated malt. So many people add ingredients to Scottish ales that are not historically accurate. If you don't mind me asking what grain bill and hopping schedule did you use? I did 94.5% Golden Promise, 4% Brown Malt, 1.5% Roasted Barley with 31 IBU's from Goldings added at 60 Mins and 40 mins left on boil.

I was brewing a Dark Island inspired 80/-, so my grain bill and hops was essentially as follows:

88% Golden Promise
3% torrified wheat
3% C60
2 % UK Chocolate (420)
2% US Chocolate (350)
2% Special B

Hops were EKG, First Gold, and Challenger all at 60 min. 35 IBU, 15 SRM, 1.050 OG, 1.014 FG. Mashed at 158.

Ironically with your comment, i brewed successive 80/- batches and the second batch I used a few ounces of Peat Malt in 13.5 gal batch, Golden Promise as base with 7% each of Munich and Honey malt, with 9% C40, and Chocolate malts. I happen to like the peated aroma/flavor, so I wanted to give it a go. Fermented a hair warmer for this batch at 56-58 degrees. I moved it to secondary this past weekend and it smells and tastes lovely. Not too much peat, IMO, but I only used 4 oz in 13.5 gal batch.

I've got a scottish 80/- going at 55. It's just plugging along. I told my wife scottish yeast is the laziest yeast in the world. They're never in a hurry and they never eat all the sugar. By the way, I doubt a Wee Heavy could be underattenuated (unless it didn't ferment at all). It's supposed to have low attenuation according to style.:)

Back